Monsanto in the news

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope I'm right, heirloom seed in the public domain is safe from these money hungry control freaks, they can be used to breed from with but they themselves can never be owned.
My seed saving started with some bean seed given to me in 1965 by a neighbor. It had been grown in my neighborhood since the early 1900's. My quest for information on this particular Italian pole bean led me into the world of heirloom beans and their histories. What can I say I'm hooked :).
So many generous people sent me samples of beans to see if I could match them up, came close but no cigar, Uncle Steve's came the closest. I gave this bean the temporary name 'Auntie Vi' Vi was for Vancouver Island. After acquiring many, I mean many different lookalike bean seeds I accidentally found out the history of this pole bean I had been growing all these year, in fact it looks like I was the only one still growing it, so this bean had a close call.

The lady who brought this bean with her when she immigrated from Italy in 1911 lived on the first block of the street we live on about a mile down the road, we live on the last block. The grandson of this lady said their family had lost this bean and the other one she had brought with her. It was a good feeling to be able to give the family back at least one of the beans their grandmother had brought with her. This bean has been renamed it's now called 'Emilia's Italian' named after the lady who brought this bean with her when she immigrated..
I've tried to spread it around as much as I can, it's a really nice pole bean, I've only used it as a snap bean, never tried it any other way so can't comment on that.

There's another bean that has been grown here for over 100 years, brought here by a Chinese immigrant. Another happy ending, being the pack rat that I am had kept the article with the correct history, this bean is making a comeback due to a few seed savers who have kept it going, 'Mr. Tung's', another very nice pole bean.

It's so important to keep saving and sharing heirloom seed, others too, some really good ones have been lost when seed companies drop a certain variety, before you know it's lost forever. 'Seeds of Diversity' here in Canada had 'Selma Star' listed as probably extinct, but thanks to Russ here on this forum he found someone still growing it so this one is still alive and well. It looks like 'Baby Fordhook' is a goner tho... we've been looking for that one for a couple of years with no luck. Unless someone here might have it or know anyone that is still growing it.

I keep on adding more and more heirlooms and hard to find bean seed to my collection, now kept in a freezer bought for this purpose. No, I don't grow them all myself but I will pass them on to someone else in hopes that they will grow and share with others. I also have bean seed that doesn't do well here but I pass them on to someone who can.

Annette
The biggest problem is they silently get bills passed that changes laws in their favor. If you can believe the internet posts, Monsanto has politicians in their pockets from one end of the government to the other. They patented seed in Europe but, the courts thew out the patents.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Europe is a completely different culture. Differences:
All AG controlled by government-inputs, income, etc.
Saving seed is not allowed period.
If one seed company has a certain variety, no one else is allowed that one.

Is that what people want?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not picking on anyone but to statement: Monsanto has government people on the pay role....

When someone is anti-Monsanto, they are considered a free thinking American.
IF they agree with Monsanto, they are being paid off.

How about some disagree with Monsanto because of their beliefs and some agree with Monsanto because of their beliefs. Some look at facts and see nothing wrong. They clearly disagree with some people.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
& what has that got to do with the price of eggs if I do or don't?

I realize some on this board HATE commercial AG and love to portray all of us as Dr. Frankenstein, frankenstein, or one of his henchmen. We can't honestly disagree with someone because of how we view the facts.

All I tried to do was explain the European AG industry & our USDA.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
If Monsanto is your bread and butter you don't have an opinion, per se, you have support for them because you make a living from them. As do many of the scientists who "support" them. A bought opinion is just worth that much...it's a paid for endorsement, not a true support for something because you believe in it and it's good. It pays your bills, of course you find it to be good. :rolleyes:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You do realize those on the other side of the argument also get paid? Make a living disagreeing with 21 century AG? So are they prostitutes as well?

All breeders now have agreements that saving their seed (in some cases their life work) is against the law? Or do you believe that they shouldn't be allowed to earn a living off of their work at whatever price they deem?

Latest posts