Monsanto in the news

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
SUBJECT. Criminal Investigation of Monsanto Corporation
Cover up of Dioxin Contamination in
Products Falsification of Dioxin Health Studies.

Dioxin Contamination of Monsanto Products Monsanto covered up the dioxin contamination of a wide range of its products. Monsanto either failed to report contamination, substituted false information purporting to show no contamination, or submitted samples to the government for analysis which had been specially prepared so that dioxin contamination did not exist.

http://www.lightparty.com/Economic/MonsantoDioxinFraud.html

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, the pay is much, much better on the commercial ag side, so if the opposition are getting paid for their work there, they took the short money. Most people fighting for pure food sources are doing so due to concern for mankind's health and the health of the planet on which we live. I doubt it's all about the money for the scientists and biologists fighting against Monsanto, as Monsanto clearly has more money on the table for those in their back pockets.

At the end of the day, a person has to look at themselves in the mirror and find something noble to admire there. If you can't do that, no amount of money is worth what you are doing. There are better ways to make a living.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can look into any mirror with NO problems. I also have the advantage of growing up in an industry and understand the changes-& both sides of the discussion. I've also heard and understand the compassion of both sides.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, the pay is much, much better on the commercial ag side, so if the opposition are getting paid for their work there, they took the short money. Most people fighting for pure food sources are doing so due to concern for mankind's health and the health of the planet on which we live. I doubt it's all about the money for the scientists and biologists fighting against Monsanto, as Monsanto clearly has more money on the table for those in their back pockets.

At the end of the day, a person has to look at themselves in the mirror and find something noble to admire there. If you can't do that, no amount of money is worth what you are doing. There are better ways to make a living.
& you know the pay is better? Nurses get paid better than AG workers.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
A Small Town's Battle With Dioxin Pollution
A small town grapples with the legacy of a chemical byproduct.

See photos of Nitro, W. Va.

By Kent GarberApril 23, 2010, at 4:50 p.m.+ More
NITRO, W.VA.—Jack Woodall worked at the plant for 30 years. In his first year and part of the second, he made weedkiller. That's the way it worked. The new guys at the plant had to make the weedkiller. It was a rite of passage.

First they mixed the chemicals, then dried them to form a powder or cake. Then the powder was bagged and sent away.

At the end of each day, they had to clean. They swept the extra powder into bins so it could be taken to landfills and burned, Woodall says. They hosed the equipment from top to bottom, washing the extra chemicals into the sewer. [See photos of Nitro, W. Va.]

The fumes from the chemicals were noxious. They caused workers' skin to blister. To protect their faces, Woodall and his coworkers were given jars of cream. That didn't help very much.

This was in 1961 and part of 1962. Today, Woodall still smells the chemicals. He smells them coming from his skin when he sweats, and in the summer his pillowcases turn yellow where the fabric touches his cheek. "I know the smell anywhere," he says. "I know the old dioxin smell."

The plant was owned by Monsanto and was in a sprawling compound along the edge of the Kanawha River about 15 miles northwest of Charleston, the state capital. Monsanto made all sorts of chemicals there, including the weedkiller with the chemical name 2,4,5-T. With so many different materials being combined, there were always byproducts, and dioxin was one of them.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Supreme Court affirms Monsanto pollution settlement in Nitro
Ken Ward Jr.
CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- The West Virginia Supreme Court on Friday upheld approval of the settlement in a landmark lawsuit over pollution of the community of Nitro with dioxin from the former Monsanto chemical plant.

The court voted 4-1 to affirm a January ruling in which Circuit Judge Derek Swope approved the class-action settlement aimed at resolving longstanding allegations that Monsanto contaminated Nitro with toxic pollution from the production of the defoliant Agent Orange. Chief Justice Brent Benjamin dissented.

In a 14-page decision reached without oral argument, the court said it found "no substantial question of law and no prejudicial error" in various appeals filed over Swope's nearly 400-page settlement-approval order.

Under the settlement, thousands of Nitro-area residents will be eligible for medial monitoring and property cleanups as part of the $93 million deal.

For more than 50 years, the Monsanto plant churned out herbicides, rubber products and other chemicals. The plant's production of Agent Orange, a defoliant deployed widely in the Vietnam War, created dioxin as a toxic chemical byproduct.

- See more at: http://www.wvgazettemail.com/News/201311220094#sthash.Ik9Tz6Oy.dpuf

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You really think so? :gig Wish all the employers of nurses here would get into that way of thinking. ;)
I know so as I have family members in nursing. They make more than AG workers and only work 3 days/week. Next level up in nursing is 6 figures. So don't even try to go to under paid nurses. They are valuable and get paid well.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know so as I have family members in nursing. They make more than AG workers and only work 3 days/week. Next level up in nursing is 6 figures. So don't even try to go to under paid nurses. They are valuable and get paid well.

You do realize, don't you, that there are different levels of nursing and also different pay scales per state and even per different specialties? As a licensed practical nurse here in WV I make what is considered poverty level wages and even qualify for programs through welfare at my wages. And that's after 20 yrs of being a nurse in good standing, with a huge variety of experience.

My sons, with only a high school education, make more than I ever have when they do entry level jobs in various fields. Actually, minimum wage here is more than I made in my first nursing job and that wage has not climbed much at all. The nursing wages in my area are far below the national average. My son makes more money per hour shoveling horse poop at a small local stable than I made on my first nursing job.

Yep, we live the high life, us nurses. :D

Now...back to the focus on Monsantan....