Monsanto - the planet killer is at it again.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
typical, just throw insults rather than deal w/facts.

Facts:

M gave them conventional corn, vegetable seeds.
No strings attached.
It IS a GOOD thing.
People were suffering and M tried to help in best way they could.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food

Everyone is entitled speak and to express his or her ideas. I will always defend that ideal.

Having said that, this expression of ones feelings and opinions does not make it a fact. However, when presented with the facts from MANY different accredited sources.what is the purpose of still trying to dismiss and misrepresent what is actually going on in the real world.

I think to try to continual sow dissention among those looking for a solution to a world in crisis is immoral.

Please note the chart attached. The percentages of manipulated products that are available in this country are still quite high. If nowadays Monsanto were having trouble selling its products, a good corporate plan would be to GIVE AWAY what they could NOT sell and then take it off their TAXES as a charitable DONATION. Who is going to expend the time or expense to test these products.

I will not be arguing this point anymore. The facts remain. :/

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Farmers will have to buy the seeds at markets to avoid flooding the local economy with free goods, but Monsanto will not receive any revenue from the sales, Vancil said. A spokesman for the U.S. Agency for International Development program distributing the seeds could not immediately provide more details.

Haiti's agriculture ministry approved the donation, while UPS and Switzerland-based Kuehne and Nagel are assisting with the shipping and logistics, Monsanto said.

The announcement raised concerns in Haiti that the donation would include genetically modified seeds, for which the country does not have a regulatory system. Monsanto representatives said no such seeds will be included.

Instead they are sending hybrid seeds, which are produced by manually cross-pollinating plants. The company said the seeds produce larger yields than non-hybrid seeds, but that with such a variety new seeds have to be purchased and planted every year.

For decades Haiti has been unable to feed itself, while local farms have been wiped out by competition from cheap foreign food and free food aid -- especially from the United States. The U.N. World Food Program estimates 2.4 million Haitians, a quarter of the country, do not have enough to eat.
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9FMUQN80.htm

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:

Facts:

No strings attached.
It IS a GOOD thing.
Hmmmmm !!-- I have been thinking about your remarks seedcorn:

" No strings attached " Are you sitting in on Monsanto's discussions that you know their are no strings attached. 'Strings' are very hard to quantify -- that is why they are called strings & not articles in contracts. They tend to cover the grey areas which are hard to quantify.....!!

" It IS a GOOD thing "
I don't think this is true -- I think, more correctly, you should have said ' I think it is a good thing'. After all you don't have a mandate to speak for everyone and it should be painfully obvious from your reception just here on TEG that very few people agree with you.

Out of personal interest I had a look at Monsanto's blog:

http://www.monsantoblog.com/2010/05/13/monsanto-donates-seed-to-haiti/

It was interesting to read. I think feel they feel the need for a bit of 'GOOD Publiicity' & they have this hybrid seed which won't produce good seed for the following years as we know from our own experience. I'm sure they will earn a lot, in various ways, from this donation.

A lot of people will think it is a great kindness because they don't know or really don't care. After all they shrug their shoulders -- it's only a small part of an island...........the people are violent.....the government is weak...etc,etc..!!

:hit Hattie :hit

Haiti has been treated badly for hundreds of years by so many countries, including my own, France, Canada & the US.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:

Facts:

No strings attached.
It IS a GOOD thing.
Hmmmmm !!-- I have been thinking about your remarks seedcorn:

" No strings attached "
Are you sitting in on Monsanto's discussions that you know their are no strings attached. 'Strings' are very hard to quantify -- that is why they are called strings & not articles in contracts. They tend to cover the grey areas which are hard to describe or you actively want to fudge over.....!!

" It IS a GOOD thing "
I don't think this is true -- I think, more correctly, you should have said ' I think it is a good thing'. After all you don't have a mandate to speak for everyone and it should be painfully obvious from your reception just here on TEG that very few people agree with you.

Out of personal interest I had a look at Monsanto's blog:

http://www.monsantoblog.com/2010/05/13/monsanto-donates-seed-to-haiti/

It was interesting to read. I think they feel the need for a bit of 'GOOD Publiicity' for a change & they have this hybrid seed which won't produce good seed for the following years as we know from our own experience. I'm sure they will earn a lot, in various ways, from this donation.

A lot of people will think it is a great kindness because they don't know or really don't care. After all they shrug their shoulders -- it's only a small part of an island...........the people are violent.....the government is weak...etc,etc..!!

Hattie

Haiti has been treated badly for hundreds of years by so many countries, including my own, France, Canada & the US.

[*** Ed. to add this site which gives more information on the other organisations who are involved on this project ]

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...elp-address-food-security-needs-93713444.html

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hattie, let me get this straight, you think giving seed to someone in need is a bad thing? Interesting that government of Haiti, farmers involved, & general population of Haiti don't agree.

There is a small contingent on this board that despise my thoughts. I've also received emails from many on this board for not getting personnal and trying to shed some light on Ag. They don't like the attacks from others so they quit trying and some have left.

strings/contingencies in contracts are one and the same.

M needs some positive PR.......you think? M would never allow me on their board. I tend to be on the side of Ag that would not use better genetics, better farm techniques, cut supply to about 1/4. We in Ag would be in much better financial shape--higher pay, work fewer hours, less financial risk. Altho those not in Ag would pay a lot more of their income on food and lose their overweight problems. As of now, you play the game w/the rules in hand which is produce more, cheaper or go out of business.

When Jesus's disciples came to him saying Satan's servants were doing good in Jesus's name. Jesus told them to allow them to continue as good was being done--he did not condone their other actions nor did he say they were good. I've never said M was good but I do acknowledge this as a good act.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am sure your followers are great seed... but I still say seeing everything is black and white with no shades grey will do nothing for you. Not everything is good or bad. There are questions that even you can not answer, but instead of coming back with some facts and proof positive of your views, then your views are just that... your views and are by NO means fact.

If you dislike something you scream LIES.

Hattie did you the favor of going and doing research of the things you were talking about on her own. I don't think she found anything that answered anyone's questions or backed up your comments. But she heard you out and remarked politely and still you yell from the mountain tops your feelings on something. Simpling stating 'My view' or 'My feelings' is the only fair way to come across with what you suggest. However, you are confusing what you think with fact.

So stop telling everyone they are liars or wrong... you can believe what you want to believe but you might as well stop trying to push your views like rank bread down people's throats. Whether the bread is free or not...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Here is a very interesting article. It seems Monsanto's ultimate goal is to wipe out farmers who save and plant their own seed, leving them as the only suplyer.
http://farmwars.info/?p=845
I hope you are prepared to have your head bitten off. Seed obviously thinks they do good just business. This topic is very touchy here.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
personnal attack, personnal attacks...........

so giving free seed to a nation going through a catastrophy is a bad thing?

Latest posts