most unusual produce

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
One of my favorite parts of gardening is trying out new, unusual things. By trying new things, I've come to love Swiss chard, Brussels sprouts, all varieties of beets, kale, arugula and others.

What sorts of things do you love to grow and eat that may not be found in a typical grocery store?

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mulberries grow wild around here--dark purple and a kind of maggot color :p
But, what are cherimoyas and loquats?!?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mulberries, runner beans, antique fruit (bittersharp cider apples, russet apples), Alpine strawberries, multicolored sweet & pop corn (Rainbow Inca &c.), purple podded snap beans. Lots of edible flowers, too--nasturtiums especially.

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
And to think that I'm still thinking about the post that Beav. put up about Wonderberries. Now you guys....(wait, from Alabama)..ya'll really got me going with these strange, unheard of fruits and veggies. Surely there is something odd I grow down here. Nope, can't think of a thing.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey--I just came across Wonderberries in one of the catalogues I was perusing today! They sound really tasty. A bit bigger than a pea, purple, said to be even yummier than blueberries. Maybe I should try them... Does anybody know if they are annuals or perennials?

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just bought them from Baker Creek, but I am scared to plant them.

They look just like Deadly Nightshade which occasionally springs up on our property.

I wouldn't want my two girls to mistakenly confuse the two of them.

If you want, I'll mail you my unopened seed packet for Wonderberries...

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Do you know anything about their growth habits, if they're perennial or annual? I'm interested if they would grow well as a perennial in zone 4. Know what you mean about the kids! My kids have gotten so used to everything being edible in our yard and garden that I have to remind them so often to not eat ANYthing unless they absolutely know it to be edible. And, yes, it sure does look like nightshade!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Actually I was suckered into egg plant by the people at the chicken farm last summer. I was always iffy about eggplant. Well, I went a bought some fresh eggs for the husband's birthday (my chickens were all broody) and they were harvesting from their garden and gave me a bag few of beans, tomatoes and eggplant. So I put some in a chili I made and it was such an awesome texture... now I'll be growing some of my own from the seeds I saved from what they gave me. Wish me luck!