most unusual produce

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
SewingDiva said:
We grow Johnny's Sessantina Brccoli Raab and love it; it's easy to start from seed and it grows fast. Last year I started seeds March 1 and transplanted April 10 in 40 degree weather. In retrospect I could have transplanted it April 1 easily (I'll do that this year in fact.)

Sessantina is a cool weather variety and it bolts fast, but I still love it because it thrives when there is not really much else growing. I grow it under a floating row cover to deter animals because it's the only green thing in my yard.

It has a slightly bitter taste and its good sauteed with garlic and onions. It's a hearty green like collards, kale and swiss chard.

This year I'm going to double the amount I grow! :)
Awesome!! I just ordered that very variety from Johnny's yesterday! Just didn't know how to use it, but doesn't everything seem to taste great stir-fried with garlic and onions? :) Can you describe anything else about it? Like, do multiple broccoli shoots grow from each plant? Do they keep coming like the sideshoots on regular broccoli after the main head is cut? How late (for heat) in the season can it be harvested? Thanks much!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Egglant. Not so sure about it. I grew it once but I think I left it on to long and it was rubbery. No so sure about it.
I used to feel that way about it, too. But, it's pretty flexible. We use it diced in soups, sauteed with other summer veggies, mixed with spaghetti sauce and topped with mozzarella, and it's really good roasted, mashed and made into baba-ghanouj!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
beavis and vfem--very interesting! Great ideas! I tried paw-paws once and didn't have any luck. I was excited to find they were native to our area (or maybe North America?)

I love experimenting with unusual variations of regular veggies. Tried golden and Chioggia beets the last 2 years. The Chioggia look like red-and-white-striped targets. They were great!

Bright lights Swiss chard was a fun way to enjoy chard.

Of course, tomatoes offer so many shape and color variations! One of my favorites now is Green Zebra, a yellow-and-green zebra striped tomato.

The Dragon carrot with it's dark orange flesh and purple skin is also an amazing heirloom.

This year I'm trying choc. brown peppers and brown cherry tomatoes.

What funky things are you planning on this coming year?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've seen the chocolate tomatoes and found those to be awesome! I can't believe that main street market has filtered out hundreds of good veggies for the low pickings we have now. Takes away all the interest and taste that's really out there. I just drool thinking about it :p

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Isn't it crazy? My friends and family were shocked to see my purple, white and yellow carrots. But, I just learned this year that orange carrots were actually a genetic mutation somewhere way back down the line. It's incredible how we generally have VERY narrow options in the grocery store but 1000s of varieties in real life. So glad to be a gardener and not have to rely completely on Corporate Food :)

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have an old loquat tree. My daughter loves them! They are prolific. And our tree has a long season compared to some of the "wild" ones I see in some of the "natural" parks in LA.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Awesome!! I just ordered that very variety from Johnny's yesterday! Just didn't know how to use it, but doesn't everything seem to taste great stir-fried with garlic and onions?
I can't argue with that!

me&thegals said:
Can you describe anything else about it? Like, do multiple broccoli shoots grow from each plant? Do they keep coming like the sideshoots on regular broccoli after the main head is cut?
They do, buy the florets are not really in a head like broccoli and they are smaller and not clustered together. The leaves are just as tasty as the florets and the leaves are larger and much more conspicuous than leaves of regular brocccoli. The stems are more tender than regular broccoli too. The photo of Sessentina in the Johnny's catalog is pretty much what it looks like (it has that pretty blue green color too)

me&thegals said:
How late (for heat) in the season can it be harvested?
I just looked at my notes from last year, and by May 17 (about 1 week prior to our official last frost date) our broccoli raab was caput. Sessantina really is a cool season variety; it grows fast,and it goes fast, in our garden when the daytime temps are reliabley over 45-50 degrees it will be history.

You may do even better with it than we do because I suspect you have longer days than we do in early spring because you're much further south than Mass. This is a plant that can take a light frost or two no problem.

Enjoy!
Phyllis

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
SewingDiva said:
me&thegals said:
How late (for heat) in the season can it be harvested?
I just looked at my notes from last year, and by May 17 (about 1 week prior to our official last frost date) our broccoli raab was caput. Sessantina really is a cool season variety; it grows fast,and it goes fast, in our garden when the daytime temps are reliabley over 45-50 degrees it will be history.

You may do even better with it than we do because I suspect you have longer days than we do in early spring because you're much further south than Mass. This is a plant that can take a light frost or two no problem.

Enjoy!
Phyllis
You make it sound like I may start having to plant this end of feburary beginning of March! Does it really dislike temps over 50? I have some of this I'm dying to try and I don't want it to fail. (Sounds like it will be nice to do with my raddishes and lettuce in October though)

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Besides trying Swiss Chard this year, I'm also going to try my hand at Bok Choi.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I grew pak choi for the first time 2 years ago. VERY easy and fast! Then, I discovered that I could harvest the outer leaves and it would continue to grow until bolting. I had a lot of bugs in it in my spring planting but none in the fall one. Good luck!

Latest posts