Mother's who live with you

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
when i moved in here it worked out well for us. i was renting a place in a nearby town and the new downstairs people were smokers and noisy. the landlord was a decent guy and was a friend for years afterwards. anyways, my then step-dad picked up and left leaving this room quite a mess. so i spent a lot of time fixing this room up and repainted it after repairing the walls. Mom got it all set up and then a few days later asked me if i wanted to move in since she's also had issues and problems of various kinds with vandals/etc. so it was good for me to be here. the gardens i always helped her with anyways when i was around and had time.

the only real condition on it from me was that this is "My Room" and she doesn't have any say in what i do in here as long as it isn't a hazard to her. i'm not a huge slob, but i am somewhat into clutter (i am a horizontal organizer, out of sight - out of mind). i don't leave food/dishes laying around, i do also put my dirty clothes in the hamper in the utility room, i know how to do dishes, sew, wash clothes, i don't need help in any of those things. i also clean this room a few times a year, but that's about it. i'm gradually getting rid of clutter, but it takes me a long time...

i help her out around the gardens as much as i can since i also greatly enjoy that. i have gotten her away from using poisons and potions and burning things and the property has responded well to that (increased diversity in bugs and bug eaters). i've also spent a lot of time working the house itself to seal it up so that bugs/animals can't get in so easily. the battle seems to be constant, but we've come a long ways and i'm almost done with the final big chink in the armor (the garden shed). hopefully that gets done this spring...

she is doing well, keeps busy/active, has her own friends, once in a while she goes and visits someone and that gives me some unwind time. i seriously dislike the feeling of being "Managed".

we get along very well, i wouldn't be able to do this with just anyone, humor is the main way we have of blowing off steam and we talk about things when we can. at times she gets her way and other times she actually listens to me. as she's getting older certain things are happening which come with age, but she's doing good considering. i'll take care of her as best i can as long as i'm needed here. she took care of me for years as a kid. i can return the favor. besides she's been one of my best friends. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that booger bear of money...it's often a huge problem for folks that age, if they have too much and also if they don't have enough. If they have a lot they don't want to let go of any of it, if they don't have any, they don't want to "be a burden" to anyone.

What a curse wealth can be.

You could suggest the cruise ship route. :D One lady of wealth found out it was cheaper to just cruise ship through her old age instead of going to a retirement home. It was cheaper, it had endless variety, they have a doc on hand and meals aplenty.

https://www.aplaceformom.com/blog/2013-2-2-cruise-ship-retirement-assisted-living/

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
It would help if you both have your own space. Can you make her a apartment in your house ? They are called mother inlaw apartments here. family across street made there attached garage into one. Even if you have to build a addition. There are people who do yard sales of whole house, they know what prices things should sell for. Do you have a husband ? He should have a say in your mom moving in. look up local senior centers my dad goes to one every day for lunch. :hugsgood luck we are here if you need a shoder to lean on

Last edited:

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Murphy- I would go head and "consider" building a smaller MIL house, if the county/state allows it. She might just all of a sudden get all up and interested in what you are planning. It would be something she could have minor control over. The interior, the garden.
It's just a thought. Even if she swears up and down that she wouldn't live there......she jut MIGHT......get interested.

Good luck on it all. :hugs

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Mom had a stroke at 88. It robbed her of her life. A brilliant woman, it took her intellect away. She could no longer function on her own, so she came to live with us. Here are some threads on the process. it wasn't easy, she drove me nuts, but I am glad for what I did. It is late, but I'll come back to this thread.

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/mom-fell-sugery-hospital-and-nursing-home.14131/

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/mom-went-to-assisted-living.15723/

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/mom-is-in-hospice-care.17342/

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quote:flowerbug~ I'll take care of her as best i can as long as i'm needed here. she took care of me for years as a kid. i can return the favor. besides she's been one of my best friends.

Shad Avor ```
Good for you ~ that's as it should be ```

she's yelling at me now. lol...

but she's very happy with her new steps i made for her for Mother's Day and the tile in the shed.

Latest posts