Mow High or Low

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy , you just posted my picture and claimed it was someone else! Thank you for protecting my privacy. Okay, no one's likely to believe that because of one simple fact: Mike should be wearing ... gloves!

If the grass is mowed at what I consider a comfortable height, I can walk across the wet lawn and not have wet shoes. I appreciate it green and alive all summer but I may also wish to walk on it at all times of the year.

A few years ago I told you about the neighbors down the road who killed every green thing in their front yard and built a nice, brick planter near the house. All that work through many, many hours in the blazing midday sun. They then failed to do any sowing of new lawn grass. Didn't put anything in the planter, either.

Weeds at thigh-height - every one of the last few years.

Then, I thought maybe new people moved in (but it turned out not to be so). The yard was cleared right down to bare dirt again and this time, a lawn was sown! Day after day, they would spend hours out there during the early season (and record June 2016 HEAT) removing every tiny weed. Of course, they would mow. Surely, they would mow at some point ... They wouldn't go to all that bother ... But, they did ... or, didn't. Knee-high lawn grass, even now, 6 months later!

Honestly, there is use for a lawn outside of our homes!!

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we had a lawn (at our old house) DH had it cut tall. It was thick and lush, the tallness of the grass shaded the roots from our killer summer heat. It was San Augustine grass, makes a beautiful lawn.

Now we have sand, weeds, Bahia (pasture grass), more weeds, Bermuda (not the lawn type-it's a tall pasture type), more weeds, more sand, and some bodacious tall over my head weeds. We do not have a lawn mower, we have a bush hog on the tractor, but better than that, we have SHEEP. The sheep love the weeds, mow down the grass and eat practically everything. It is not lovely, lush and green.

The good news is--we don't have to worry about snow mold--whatever THAT is.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a fungus. Long grass going into winter can be a factor in snow mold getting a start. I don't know all the mechanics of it, but the lawn laying over on itself can help it proliferate.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did it!

The 35mph wind gusts yesterday afternoon blew the wet grass dry. Dawn was bright and sunny but I waited until 10am to start the mower. By then DW had other ideas ..!

A walk in the park! We did that yesterday but I'm not one to turn down a walk in the park ;)! Came home, made the commitment, going in to change my shoes, to a heavy denim shirt, and it began to rain!

Rained all the time I was mowing! The little green machine performed like a champ and we finished ...

:D Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
11142016-tegfeature.jpeg

Latest posts