Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This seems like another new color!
13510.jpg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I picked three new varieties from the florist nearby for propagation.

Only the top bud is kept, and the rest were all removed. This is something I have to try next year.

Finger-crossed 🤞
View attachment 61767
Am I to understand that you purchased chrysanthemums by the stem at the florist as if to create a bouquet, and then you made cuttings from the lower portions of the stems to see if they will root? That is a brilliant idea. This past spring I was looking in to growing some unique mums grown by specialty growers, and ordering starts via mail was prohibitively expensive. Your little experiment could be far more cost effective. It will be interesting to see how this goes for you Phaedra. Please keep us posted-- especially if you get blooms from these cuttings. :love

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Am I to understand that you purchased chrysanthemums by the stem at the florist as if to create a bouquet, and then you made cuttings from the lower portions of the stems to see if they will root? That is a brilliant idea. This past spring I was looking in to growing some unique mums grown by specialty growers, and ordering starts via mail was prohibitively expensive. Your little experiment could be far more cost effective. It will be interesting to see how this goes for you Phaedra. Please keep us posted-- especially if you get blooms from these cuttings. :love
@Branching Out Yes and No, my primary purpose is to get the stems for propagation. The bouquet is the byproduct. :D

However, this isn't always working, as the flowers already experienced a long travel and staying in the still water. The best chance is the very fresh cuttings from the living plants. The previous experiments didn't work out very well (So far, it seems two survived, but not those unique ones), if comparing with the propagations that used the fresh ones from my own garden.

Anyway, there is nothing to lose. Whoever survive will become part of our garden. I will also keep finding lovely living plants from Netherlands, when it's available. :D

I will keep you updated in this thread.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You may both be successful with this approach but keep something in mind:

The mums the florists are using are from greenhouses. They may not be suitable for more rugged weather. Of course, mums are perennials but there is just no certainty with generations and probably over a 100 years of varieties being grown in greenhouses for cutting.

It struck me as fairly dishonest behavior that the owners of the commercial greenhouse where I used to work would sometimes sell rose bushes that were being replaced. Almost cringe-worthy but there was a few $ to be made ...

🫢 Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
View attachment 52507
My booties today! Most of them are discounted items.
View attachment 52508
Now I know there should be three varieties I bought on Oct 8, 2022 successfully survive and growing in our garden now. Both are the discounted plants.

The first - with tiny normal yellow flowers, at this moment of time, they offer a bright color for the garden.
13801.jpg

The second:
13797.jpg

The third - now I know this pink color one should be also from the discounted 'Trio,' together with the bright yellow ones. The reason I couldn't recognize it earlier is simply because I only saw them in the 'price reduced' stage, instead of their early blossom with brighter and fuller colors.

13808.jpg

Now, when their color starts fading, I can recognize them better.
13809.jpg

So, in summary, all a little more special varieties I got as cut flowers from the florist didn't make it. It's still worthy for a try, imo, but just don't have too much expectation.

I am very satisfied with three new residents. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You may both be successful with this approach but keep something in mind:

The mums the florists are using are from greenhouses. They may not be suitable for more rugged weather. Of course, mums are perennials but there is just no certainty with generations and probably over a 100 years of varieties being grown in greenhouses for cutting.

It struck me as fairly dishonest behavior that the owners of the commercial greenhouse where I used to work would sometimes sell rose bushes that were being replaced. Almost cringe-worthy but there was a few $ to be made ...

🫢 Steve
Steve, thanks for the sharing, it's helpful to understand more about what are behind the scenes. :D

I guess those growing in the greenhouse will need maybe several growing seasons to adapt a more rugged weather. The two varieites I got two years ago are doing pretty well outdoors this autumn, but I keep them in the greenhouse for the first year. I am surprised that they can maintain a good shape even with so much rain.

However, I will plant a few in the container next year, so it will be easier to remove all flower buds besides the top ones, and I can move them inside.

13791.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
MUMs for tea, they are just about to blossom....I didn't expect such a late blossom. Besides, I didn't prune them at the right time, so most of the tea MUMs are leggy and produce not many flowers. So, pruning 2-3 times is really necessary for most of the MUMs.
13941.jpg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
MUMs for tea, they are just about to blossom....I didn't expect such a late blossom. Besides, I didn't prune them at the right time, so most of the tea MUMs are leggy and produce not many flowers. So, pruning 2-3 times is really necessary for most of the MUMs.
I wonder if these are the same type of frilly chrysanthemums that were in a mixed mesclun mustard green seed packet that I grew this year. They made for tasty stir fry greens when they were young, and had really pretty flowers once they matured; very ornamental. I saved seeds from two 2' tall plants, one with yellow and one with white daisy-like flowers.

Latest posts