MUMs!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Make it a houseplant until next spring!
I lost all of my mums on the front walkway. These only live ~3 years anyway.
I bought 3 at WM, $1,50/each but all too thinly rooted to transplant NOW.
I did up pot them all. They are decorating the south side of the house right now, but I will bring them in end of the month.
I have done this before. They are Quite hardy. I even gave one to DD, who decided hers would make a good office plant, something hard to kill.
Yes, they can overwinter most of the time under shelter. When next spring comes, they will send out a lot of new shoots. As long as we pinch them 2-3 times, a lot of flowers will show up in the autumn.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Most of my MUMs grow from cuttings this year are about to blossom. Because the propagation is very easy, no matter from cuttings or from basal shoots (with a bit roots), it's very cost-effective.
12896.jpg

They look great between Asters, too.
12892.jpg

12897.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I realized that there are more different colors of MUMs in my garden now. This is one the original varieties from 2021.
13199.jpg

This is, too.
13193.jpg

But this is a new color I didn't grow but there are several plants in different corners. I guess, it might be a result from cross-pollination. How lovely!
13200.jpg

This, mmm, I am not sure yet.
13198.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Let's enjoy their beauty!
PA100619.JPG

PA100637.JPG

PA100644.JPG

Ah, I know who you are now.
PA100630.JPG

Below is the Aster, but they are also lovely at this time of a year.
PA100620.JPG

Both are shining in the autumn garden - both are very easy to propagate.
PA100618.JPG

Someone is happy!
PA100642.JPG

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My neighbour has the most beautiful deep dark red mum that grows in her garden. Do you think it would work if we were to try to cut or pull some of the basal branches, without lifting the entire plant from the ground? I would love to have a few clones of the stunning chrysanthemum that she grew last year. It was really spectacular.
I bought a bunch of those gorgeous vibrant red mums this fall in a pot. On the way home, one of the side stems broke off that had some flowers growing from it and I was so bummed! I brought the mums home and I took the stem that had broken off and I carefully carved the green part off the bottom of it (about one inch up). I pushed it into the moist soil in the pot and watered it. The stand alone stem survived! It has been a month and that piece is growing great! I'm so happy! 😁

Latest posts