Mushy Pickles?

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Interesting about the water. I've heard of other issues, but that's a new one to me. Makes sense if you think about it.

Does it just apply to the water in the jar or do you used distilled for prep as well, like soaking?

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I used to mix from Wal-Mart and got mushy kosher dills. I put the cukes in the ice water for 3 hours before I started making the pickles, but still, they were a little mushy. I got a different brand of the packaged pickle mix from the local feed store for bread and butters to try. I sliced the cukes and realized I didn't have sugar in the house. :he I didn't want to go to the store as late as it was, so I put the cuke slices in the fridge in slightly salted cold water. The next day, after a trip to the grocery store, I made the pickles. They are so crunchy it is unreal. I don't know if it was the different brand of mix, or the fact that I let the pickle slices set overnight in the salted water. I'll be trying this again, though, when I make my next batch of dills. Something to try. :)

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mother always made the mushy pickles and so did I when I first started. I use the pickling lime and ice water also and I have taken it a little further.

I have my cucumbers COLD and when I sterilize my jars I put them in the oven at 200 degrees to keep them hot. I make sure my lids are also hot and my pickling solution is at a boil. I have my water bath to a boil - then I start filling jars with cucumber as fast as possible I add the boiling liquid, attack lids and add to a boiling water bath. Boil not more than 10 minutes in the bath (I prefer 5) just enough to get the jars to seal and remove from bath and cool.

It's really inportant not to cook the cucumbers. That's were the mush comes from.

Latest posts