Mustangs come to visit

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Because of our love of horses-I blame Roy Rogers and Dale Evans-we don't eat them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or cats but I understand not eating dogs/cats. Very little I wouldn't eat if hungry.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or cats but I understand not eating dogs/cats. Very little I wouldn't eat if hungry.

What is it that you understand about not eating Fido and Fluffy?
I had horses that were as good of buddies as my dogs. Kinda tough taking them for a car ride, I mean, do you know how heavy a horse is sitting on your lap? And sticking their head out the window just totally obscures any view of the road...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are carnivores #1. Very little "meat" on them. Tough muscles-assume tough.

I could eat them but not my first choice along with skunks, possums, barracuda, etc....

Went to county fair last night. Interesting as DW had to walk through horse barns. Some wanted attention, some totally ignored us, couple ponies were trying to bite anyone that got near. I could eat the ponies--no problem...:)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gotcha. I agree with avoiding some creatures. The higher up the food chain the less appealing. Not a fan of crab or lobster or any other "cockroach" of the sea.
To be completely honest in my food avoidance criteria I should probably cross chicken off too since they will eat anything that doesn't escape.
But I confess to culinary hypocrisy. I like a nice grilled chicken.

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is it that you understand about not eating Fido and Fluffy?
I had horses that were as good of buddies as my dogs. Kinda tough taking them for a car ride, I mean, do you know how heavy a horse is sitting on your lap? And sticking their head out the window just totally obscures any view of the road...
Is that why you have minis now ?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
People think that Mustangs roam contiguous ranges. They do not. They live in small pockets, and often ranchers take pity on them, open up water holes or provide full water tanks and feed them hay in the winter. Otherwise they starve. So, they are used to being fed. Nice photo. I'm glad that you got a kick out of them!