My 2012 Green Bean Garden-2013-post #48

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
WOW, those are some amazingly long beans!! Awesome! :woot do you find them stringy at all??
They are not stringy. The best size is when they are about as big around as a pencil. As they get bigger, they get hollow and the seeds are just a few in each bean. So not a bean to let get big to eat the beans themselves, but awesome green beans!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took this picture today of the gob of vines these beans grow into!

7949_green_beans_trellis_6-13-12.jpg

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
desertlady said:
So jealous! I planted mine few weeks ago, they were growing nicely until some critter ate it ! GRRRRRRR!!!:rant
Same problem here, I did get a fence up last evening to try and save a couple 10' sections of rows.

THANX RICH

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been green-beaned to death!! They produced tons of beans. We ate green beans, gave away green beans, fed the chickens green beans, they went to seed because I couldn't pick them fast enough, gave away green bean seeds (some went to Honduras) and ate some more green beans.

Typical picking. Notice the fork in the middle for size comparison.

7949_green_beans_with_fork.jpg

And they are still making green beans! We gave away green beans until neighbors and friends wouldn't open their doors anymore! PRAYING FOR KILLING FROST!!! :gig

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
These vines have been producing for you for 3 1/2 months?

Tell us about other beans you have grown, please.

How do these compare?

Steve

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They sound like my butterbeans this year! I think we've gotten six pounds shelled plus a quart jar of dried beans to plant next year.

I also wonder if these taste like "regular" green beans? I'm not happy with my Blue Lake bush beans and was planning to switch to Kentucky Wonder (since that's what we eat out of cans from the grocery store.) I have a sturdy trellis available and want a vining type rather than bush. Do you think these would work?

-Wendy

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ninnymary, they taste like regular green beans. They are best stir fried or lightly steamed. If boiled for hours, they turn to mush. Sooooo.......they cut down on cooking time! Not stringy at all, very tender and good flavor.

digitS I have grown other green beans before, but never got the production these give me. I live in town on a small lot, space is at a premium, so these are clearly the winner!

wmsoak, these taste good. They vine like somebody sprayed them with steroids. :lol: But they back it up and make green beans until we were sick of them! They are finally winding down now, but the last rain we had perked them back up and we had green beans last night! They are still blooming and covered with more beans.

The green bean garden resides next to the driveway. It is about a foot wide and twelve feet long. I have rebar pounded in the ground and web it with hay twine. When the vines are dead, I cut the twine loose, roll it all up and bag it up for the trash.

This is the 3rd year I have grown these. The first year, I carefully prepared the soil and composted the crap (literally) :gig out of it. I got tons of vines but no beans all summer until the last of August. The 2nd year, I did not compost the soil, but got the same vines and finally got beans. This year I still did not compost and they started producing and kept producing and kept producing..........I dunno.......keep looking for that durn pink Everready bunny lurking in the foliage........maybe he buried batteries under the vines. :lol:

Latest posts