My 2012 Green Bean Garden-2013-post #48

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vigna unguiculata, same species as Cowpeas. This species of Bean is also great to grow if you have been trouble growing Phaseolus vulgaris, regular Beans because of too much high temperatures during summer. Wow, looks like Thai #3 really grows a big vine, and is one selected for use as a green bean. That Richter's Seed Zoo has some from Africa that they (Richter's) don't even know much about yet. Those Vignas really do seem to be a very diverse bunch. I was reading somewhere that said that the leaves of Vigna unguiculata have something about them, that if a leaf gets chewed by an animal or a bug, the plant produces a subtle deterrent hormone.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Vigna unguiculata, same species as Cowpeas. This species of Bean is also great to grow if you have been trouble growing Phaseolus vulgaris, regular Beans because of too much high temperatures during summer. Wow, looks like Thai #3 really grows a big vine, and is one selected for use as a green bean. That Richter's Seed Zoo has some from Africa that they (Richter's) don't even know much about yet. Those Vignas really do seem to be a very diverse bunch. I was reading somewhere that said that the leaves of Vigna unguiculata have something about them, that if a leaf gets chewed by an animal or a bug, the plant produces a subtle deterrent hormone.
Oh yeah, I saw something to that effect on a TV show about diversity in the plant and animal world. It was a tree in Africa, I think, that started growing thorns when it came under attack by plant eating animals or birds. Very odd. Makes you want to rethink the idea that plants are just plants, and they don't know you are coming at them with a machete. :hide

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the vines are looking a little sad right now. I truly thought my beans were down for the count. But yesterday, what popped up but new blooms! It will take a killing frost to put these green bean vines totally out. There is a mess of beans on the vines now ready to pick!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you believe we had green beans last night from my vines? They are not producing near what they were, but we still get a mess every so often. Sure don't need to can/freeze/dry or preserve in any way with these beans around. I need winter to give me a break from green beans! :lol:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Feel real sorry for you.
baymule said:
Can you believe we had green beans last night from my vines? They are not producing near what they were, but we still get a mess every so often. Sure don't need to can/freeze/dry or preserve in any way with these beans around. I need winter to give me a break from green beans! :lol:

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Questions !? Do green bean do well in cool weather? How cold is too cold for them ? Ive got several growing right now, no flowers yet.

Latest posts