My asparagus is sprouting!

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago when I was giving a gardening class, I noticed a few little asparagus stalks, now there are 5 on that plant! I was shocked they started this early, but happy & excited. Bad news they are not on a plant I will harvest from this yr. I planted my bed half one yr & half last yr, so it is in the last yt planting half. The rest is still dorminate but I keep looking & hoping for them to start.
Sorry Anne, not trying to be mean.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Now that is a test of self restraint: Leaving perfectly beautiful asparagus to go to seed that first year or 2...:p

sred98

Leafing Out
Reaction score
did you start your asparagus from seeds or roots? I have ordered some seeds from Baker Creek, and am curious how to germinate and transplant. Also how many years I'll have to wait to harvest!

Congrats on your sprouts!

Shelly

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have always wanted to grow asparagus but it won't tolerate the heat here or the lack of a winter.

Patch of Heaven Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:tools Congrats homesteadmom !!! It is exciting to see new sprouts! My asparagus is sprouting as well. I will also have to wait on most of it till next year! But happy to see it is doing well.

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
sred98 said:
did you start your asparagus from seeds or roots? I have ordered some seeds from Baker Creek, and am curious how to germinate and transplant. Also how many years I'll have to wait to harvest!

Congrats on your sprouts!

Shelly
I bought the roots, they were 2 yr roots when I got them so the first batch are now 4 yr roots & the second batch are now 3 yr roots. Plus i am planting another batch this yr too.

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I have always wanted to grow asparagus but it won't tolerate the heat here or the lack of a winter.
We have 115+ temps in the summer & mild winters & I have had no problems growing it.

Patch of Heaven Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
obessed I live about 45 min from you and my asparagus is thriving and I bought it from wal-mart! Maybe you should give it a try. :watering

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
homesteadmom said:
About 2 weeks ago when I was giving a gardening class, I noticed a few little asparagus stalks, now there are 5 on that plant! I was shocked they started this early, but happy & excited. Bad news they are not on a plant I will harvest from this yr. I planted my bed half one yr & half last yr, so it is in the last yt planting half. The rest is still dorminate but I keep looking & hoping for them to start.
Sorry Anne, not trying to be mean.
Yea, yea, yea, rub it in (as we get rain on the two more inches we got last night). :lol:

I've got an asparagus bed out there, this year will be the year the harvest should really pick up.

Latest posts