My attempts at making Brtchen

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Back when I still ate bread, pretzel broetchen from the German bakery with honey butter was a favorite treat.
*wipes drool off face* Yeah, I remember those as a kid. No real German bakeries around my neck of the woods, sadly. I may have to make some this weekend...If I remember my auntie's recipe, it's the same as the bread dough recipe, except you roll them into pretzels and boil them for a minute or two in water that's got a couple teaspoons of baking soda dissolved. Then fish the pretzels out with a spatula-type thingy and bake until done. Until done being, like, 10-15 minutes. Not long.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron your rolls are just so perfect looking shape wise if you get a chance look at he video in the recipe link I posted ..

when I saw your rolls I knew you could do wonders with this brioche dough it is a great dough not only to eat but to shape into all kinds of things and it is a fun dough to work with all that pounding takes out any frustrations as well!

I will be makiing your rolls tomorrow

wish me luck I hope they come out as well!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I made these! I did! They were FABULOUS!

We had them for dinner but making some BBQ pulled chicken on the stove in some sauce and then putting the pulled chicken on the rolls with a side of corn on the cob. We invited our neighbors and it was AWESOME.

The sounds of CRUNCH everywhere in the kitchen.

I'm planning on making these again to go with soup in a week or so. :D

Thankssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:

when I saw your rolls I knew you could do wonders with this brioche dough it is a great dough not only to eat but to shape into all kinds of things and it is a fun dough to work with all that pounding takes out any frustrations as well!
HiDelight!

I found your video very interesting. I felt challenged and I did it!

My first batch of Brioche, although they referred to this as an Alternative Brioche, and they named it Pain Viennois. I guess I know where the pain part comes in. LOL :lol: My arms are like jello.

At any rate, I did manage to get an entire batch done. I rolled out half of it for dinner and I prepared a Taco Ring of all things. I will have to be the judge of whether the sweet breading matches the spicey taco meat and cheese. I will see.

Tomorrow I will have to come up with something else for the other half of my dough. I am really trying to stay away from cinnamon rolls. :rolleyes:

OK, here it is, my Taco Roll:
2r4lz4k.jpg

It was fabulous. The texture and flavor was a perfect compliment. What a HIT with this dough!

Thanks HiD, come on over for left-overs! :p:p

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, that took all of half the evening before deciding to just go ahead with the Cinnamon Rolls LOL :rolleyes:

Here they be:

kapcb5.jpg

Now my kitchen is officially "Closed" for the evening! Come back in the morning for Cinnamon Rolls and hot coffee!

Ron

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron I am so glad you tried it!! isnt it fun to do and yes it is a work out! but the dough is so nice and easy to work with! ..the cin rolls look wonderful and I have my coffee in hand but can not get one off the plate!!!

the whole idea of the sweet and spicy I can dig it!!! used the dough to stuff with a spicy sausage once ..and topped it with poppy seeds.. it was a wonderful sausage roll! so I think the taco filling will be yum!
I have also added some saffron to the dough and made challah from it ..it is my go to sweet dough recipe now and I can jusitfy it with all the exercise you get making it!
and yes I made cinnamon rolls to :) and jelly filled and then after gaining a few lbs I had to stop!

I did your rolls with soup an they were perfect I have some intreated tiles I bought at Lowes in the oven instead of a stone (I can not think of the name of the tiles now but they are only $7 a whole box compared to a pizza stone!) omg what are they called my brain is not functioning ..more coffee

anyway I put your brochen on the tiles to bake and tossed some ice cubes in the bottom of the oven like I do with French bread and they were absolutely perfect! like the Italian rolls I used to get back East actually crispy and wonderful!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok the cinnamon rolls look AWESOME!! LOVE IT!

That taco ring is sooooooooooooooo going to happen! I'm so excited... I'm going to make that. I NEED to make that. Top it with the salsa I just made and cheese. Hubby would LOVE it too... and he's picky!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

Here is the recipe/instructions for the Taco Roll:

http://comeandpeek.blogspot.com/2008/06/tween-food-taco-ring.html

I did it exactly as this except I used my own dough as above.

It was the easiest recipe imaginable. I should have tossed some black olives in there too. I used homemade Pico-de-gallo with a good dollop of sour cream on top. :p

I might also do the ground beef with onions and green chilis, then mix with cream of mushroom soup, grated colby cheese, and then wrap in a roll. Yum the possibilities with such a good dough.

Ron

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
the brotchen was wonderful I forgot to come back and thank you again! my rolls while they were not as nice looking as yours did look like they could have been picked up from a bakery :)

thank you!

I am going to make a batch of the sweet dough recipe for a friends dinner

she is making Albondiga so I thought I would do them and put some orange rind and a tiny bit of cumin seed in the rolls to go with the soup

:)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I made the 'taco' roll but not with the taco stuff... I stuffed it with Havarty and Goat cheese and baked it that way! We then dipped it in a basil and oil dip with a roasted chicken and carrots dinner. It was AMAZING!!!

I am making this rolls ALOT lately!