My Christmas Present!!

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@ninnymary , When we bought it before the addition it was roughly 575 sq. ft. After the addition it's roughly 775 sq. ft. now. Originally there was a small living room, a fairly large kitchen, 2 small bedrooms and a tiny badly laid out bathroom, we added another bedroom and a new kitchen. When the house was built there wasn't one, they had a outhouse. The people that owned it before us took a corner of the kitchen for the bathroom. Only one bedroom now the other two have been turned into his and hers domains :). The tiny bathroom now...
DSCN1969.JPG

Before we gutted it the bathtub was along the wall on the left, the sink was where it is now but held up on 2x4's with a plastic curtain around them:tongue. There was a heat register where the biffy is now and the biffy was on the end wall the same side as the sink (no heat register now but we installed a heat lamp to use when needed. When you opened the door you had to almost squeeze sideways to get past the tub, What were they thinking:hu.
After living with this for years ...as I said in another thread hubby came home from work one day to find the walls ripped out and sitting in the middle of the dining room a crowbar propped up beside them. He does really good work but sometimes he needs to be motivated;). The rod for the shower curtain is just a length of dowel pained dark brown, the curtain pull is just a necklace of colored glass beads
DSCN1967.JPG reno (1).jpg
Found this mirror, it's on wall opposite sink..Tub surround is arborite, went to a counter place and got them to come out and measure, they molded a piece to fit the space, no seams :). First I painted it a pale off-white green which almost blinded you when the sun streamed through the tiny window so I painted it a darker color, I was hoping for a shade darker, next time. I'll start another thread with a few more after pictures, I wish I had taken some befores but didn't have a camera back then.

Annette

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aftermidnight, your home is the same size as the ones my in laws just built. It's in my sister in laws hugh lot. With my mother in law having alzheimer's and my father in law a stroke a few years ago, they needed to be closer to family so they could get the help they need. There home seems much bigger than the almost 800 sq. feet. The have an open living room and kitchen against one wall. One bedroom is a pretty good size with the closet being wall to wall. The other bedroom is small, actually my fil's office. They managed to squeeze a stacking apartment size washer and dryer in the bathroom. It has no tub just a shower.

I think homes this size are really nice and spacious. It doesn't take too much to heat or cool. Not to much to clean and easy to do. :)

Mary

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Code, at leased in most counties where wood stoves are in use is: 18" from a single walled wood stove to any flammable surface. The standoff changes that completely. The single wall stove pipe is more that the 18", the wall of the stove is closer but behind the standoff that is not flammable. In addition the standoff which is not flammable has air lifted that is taken in the holes on the reverse side. The standoff dose get warm but not the wall behind + drywall and hard board are not truly flammable, measuring from any part of the stove or pipe it is more than 18" to any flammable surface.

You can increase the distance according to you're wish.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes.
Wood stove uses wood as you think of a wood stove.
Pellet stoves use wood pellets where they are fed in slowly in a controlled burn. Some of the pellet stoves will also burn corn.

Latest posts