My fava bean initiation...

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@journey11 , @hoodat really has a great point about them being a fall and winter crop. I have found they are more prone to disease such as chocolate spot during warmer weather and I also find aphids which attack them are often barely seen during the colder months compared to spring for example. One word of caution too cool of conditions will lead to flowers not setting pods which has happened to myself, I can't remember the exact temperature cut off.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My initiation, Journey, was about 15 years ago. It was brief and I didn't come away wise in the ways of favas.

As I recall, there are varieties with seeds that don't really need peeling. I was able to try them both ways. I don't remember which I preferred. I remember thinking that they were pretty darn good!

Then the aphids overwhelmed them. It was a distant garden and all I had to do was to overlook the problem or forget to bring the soap spray or a combination. Several days pass and the plants were disintegrating under the hoard of bugs!

Thanks to @TheSeedObsesser , I have several varieties to try this year. Just today, I was thinking how well they have emerged and been growing. It's been much warmer than usual here. I don't know how the favas will respond to the heat of summer temperatures we will soon experience ...

Steve
You should at least get a few plants that will thunder through the summer heat. Glad to hear that they're doing well!

Latest posts