My first adventure

Cricket

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So I thought I'd share my first attempt with trees!

My grandma lives on property that has been in our family for a long time. In the back is what used to be the second pasture for the sheep. We would actually herd them there from down at the farm that was my great grandparents. Now that there are no sheep it's grown up quite a bit. Grandma said that there was a few Buckeye trees back there but now only 2 remain and she's afraid they won't last much longer, so I decided I was going to try and preserve them by trying to grow and replant them with no idea what I was doing lol.
a1ef5a0.png

8c7ba81.png

So last year I gathered nuts and Googled the best I could as what to do. It was quite hard to find the information I needed, but saw they needed to be stratified first and you could do it two ways. In buckets outside or in the fridge so I tried both. After not seeing any signs I kinda gave up. Then one day I was cleaning my fridge and saw they had sprouted!!! I was so excited and got to planting them! I kept these inside and so far so good I think lol!
5c648ae.jpg

Screenshot_20210413-203837_Imgur.jpg

2c9b7a7.png

My outdoor ones were showing no signs they had took. So again I just gave up on those. Until I was working outside and just peeked in and saw sprouts!! And I could not be more excited!!

fb84dc4.png

It's reminded me that all things work in their own time, and to not give up! I still have a long way to go and I know lots could go wrong in the process but I'm so hopeful now! I'm also so thankful for the people I've found along the way to help with all the questions ( because I've had lots ) because as I said finding information on growing Buckeyes has proven difficult.

If you've made it this far thank you for sharing my journey!

Last edited:

Cricket

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Im hoping so
i see they are pretty toxic plants so perhaps not much will bother them once they are established. :)
I hope so. But even though they are toxic I have to beat the squirrels in the fall to collect the nuts they get every single one and fast!!! Lol

Cricket

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Al
i see they are pretty toxic plants so perhaps not much will bother them once they are established. :)
Also fun tid bit ( as I'm a Buckeye fan lol ) on of the cadences the OSU marching band does while going to the stadium is " we are Buckeyes we are killer nuts " lmao!!! I loved it the first time I heard it!!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Im hoping so

I hope so. But even though they are toxic I have to beat the squirrels in the fall to collect the nuts they get every single one and fast!!! Lol

hmm, so somehow squirrels get to eat things that people generally don't... crafty lil buggers. :) i did read up on them a bit so i see that the nuts can be eaten if properly processed.

Cricket

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hmm, so somehow squirrels get to eat things that people generally don't... crafty lil buggers. :) i did read up on them a bit so i see that the nuts can be eaten if properly processed.
I actually did not know that!!! I've always gathered them for crafts for keeping. Never before know have I thought to actually attempted to grow one!!

Latest posts