My first adventure

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm really happy to see those pics. I hope we get further updates on their health and your plans for where they go to.

Remember, the best time to transplant a tree is where there are no leaves on it.

Cricket

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm really happy to see those pics. I hope we get further updates on their health and your plans for where they go to.

Remember, the best time to transplant a tree is where there are no leaves on it.
I love getting to share it!! I will definitely do updates!!

So I need to transplant in the fall after the leaves fall off?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I thought I'd share my first attempt with trees!

My grandma lives on property that has been in our family for a long time. In the back is what used to be the second pasture for the sheep. We would actually herd them there from down at the farm that was my great grandparents. Now that there are no sheep it's grown up quite a bit. Grandma said that there was a few Buckeye trees back there but now only 2 remain and she's afraid they won't last much longer, so I decided I was going to try and preserve them by trying to grow and replant them with no idea what I was doing lol.
View attachment 40145

View attachment 40146
So last year I gathered nuts and Googled the best I could as what to do. It was quite hard to find the information I needed, but saw they needed to be stratified first and you could do it two ways. In buckets outside or in the fridge so I tried both. After not seeing any signs I kinda gave up. Then one day I was cleaning my fridge and saw they had sprouted!!! I was so excited and got to planting them! I kept these inside and so far so good I think lol!
View attachment 40147

View attachment 40148

View attachment 40149

My outdoor ones were showing no signs they had took. So again I just gave up on those. Until I was working outside and just peeked in and saw sprouts!! And I could not be more excited!!

View attachment 40150

It's reminded me that all things work in their own time, and to not give up! I still have a long way to go and I know lots could go wrong in the process but I'm so hopeful now! I'm also so thankful for the people I've found along the way to help with all the questions ( because I've had lots ) because as I said finding information on growing Buckeyes has proven difficult.

If you've made it this far thank you for sharing my journey!
That is pretty cool!

Cricket

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hmm, so somehow squirrels get to eat things that people generally don't... crafty lil buggers. :) i did read up on them a bit so i see that the nuts can be eaten if properly processed.
I would suggest eating the candies rather than the real ones lol 😂

caf427e.png

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love getting to share it!! I will definitely do updates!!

So I need to transplant in the fall after the leaves fall off?
Aye, there's the rub, ain't it? ;)

The opportune time to plant is never the right time to plant, so sometimes you just have to do it. They have a significant taproot, so you are balancing the risk of the taproot being stunted by air pruning if you leave them in a small pot vs the shock of transplant. Here's my buckeyes for the year, minus the ones I direct planted outside into pots mid-winter. They are all in 1 gal pots and I'll have to plant them in the coming month into those other 6/7 gal pots you saw in that video.
bucks.jpg

If the plant is in a 1 gal pot it will need replanting before summer begins. If it's in a 3 or 5 gal you'll maybe be fine through fall, but I can't be certain. I think in 2019 I took my 1gal pots with trees left in them and covered them with mulch for the summer because I didn't have my in-ground pots ready due to logistic issues that year. I feel that they got burned and stunted that year and suffered for it last year :(

The one question I have for you is do you have an end-game plan? I know sometimes the passion gets in the way of what the end-goal is ;). So, are you planning on planting these in-ground somewhere this year or do you plan to container grow them for another year before giving them to family close by or further away? That may alter how and when to transplant