My first broody hen!

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well mama kicked out an egg that was partially hatched but had developed the wrong way (away from the air cell). It also hadn't absorbed it's yolk. I'm getting more and more discouraged!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hang in there. I had my first broody hen and a friend gave me 7 eggs, since I don't have a rooster. She hatched 5 out of 7. They were so darn cute. She is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte and was a big plump-breasted girl. Her breast felt like a hatchet blade after the eggs hatched. I scrambled her 2 eggs with a tablespoon of bacon grease every morning for several weeks after that.

You will enjoy your babies so much. They are so cute, running around behind their momma.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks. My stats so far out of 14 are- one quitter and 3 still born.

One of my Black Australorps seems to be spending about 60% of her day in the nest box and I noticed a little feather loss on her belly but not quite the breast area. Depending on my hatch rate with the broody Black Copper Marans, I might encourage her to stay broody and give her some eggs.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, a rough start... I've never incubated chicks before. What are normal odds? Hopefully the others will turn out better.

I had a lot of trouble with my Australorps going broody (past flock). All they want to do is sit around and eat bon bons. :p

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
HPQ, I hope the rest of your hatch has been successful.

I've only let a broody set once, and she hatched 2 out of 5 purchased eggs.
She was my tiny Dutch bantam and a great mom.
Boy, the group I have now are constantly going broody. I put a colored zip tie around their ankle when they go broody so I can keep track of whose doing what, and a couple of them are on their 3 broody cycle. They have to be caged or they hog the nest box and the other girls start laying in random places.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are the stats now- 4 stillborn, 2 quitters, and 2 beautiful healthy chicks!

There are 6 eggs left under broody girl. She is quite the attentive and nurturing mama. I'm so proud of her!

instagram.jpg
instagram2.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awww.....they are so cute! I enjoyed watching my broody cuddle all her babies under her feathers and keep them warm. You will have so much fun watching your babies grow up.