My Garden + a few questions

hcammack2

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am posting a few pictures of my raised bed garden that seems to be doing ok it is a bit to rainy and some tomatoes are getting rot and their are a ton of bugs every where. I am going to buy lady bugs for our aphid problem in the middle of the week. The blueberries are loving the moist weather and have already bloomed and are looking good. We also have spinich, mesclun, chard, beans, beets, sunflowers, squash, nastirsiums, various herbs, zuchinni lettuce, radishes, strawberries, carrots, lemon cucumbers, peppers, eggplants, cucumbers, rasberries black & red, and heirloom and production varties of tomatoe. these pictures were before the beans started to come up their are 10 types of beans in the garden now!

DSCF1372.jpg

DSCF1371.jpg

Here are some blueberry bushes
DSCF1339.jpg

Here are the tomatoes just after planting in the garden!
DSCF1375.jpg

I do also have a few questions.

How long does it take for carrots to start to grow larger?
How far apart should I thin carrots?
what is a good type of lettuce for hot summer climates?
Can a put DE around and on some of my plants that are always bothered by bugs?
How do you stop tomatoe plants from rotting when it rains to much?

Thanks,
Henry

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wow, you have a beautiful garden.

You should not use DE on the plants that are blooming. The honeybees will track it back to the hive and it will kill larva! I think you would be safe to use it at the base of the plants and on non blooming plants.

We have red clay and your tomatoes seem to recover quickly from too much moisture once the rain stops--haven' had a rot problem. We mound the dirt up around the stem so the water sheds off and away from the plants..I ususal bury my tomatoe plants as deep as I can --leaving only about the first 4-6 leaves..

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful garden!

How long does it take for carrots to start to grow larger?
Within a 3-4 weeks after germination you should see some nice tops on them. Most carrots are ready to harvest in about 65-75 days all depending on variety. Young premature carrots are good too.

How far apart should I thin carrots?
Eventually thinned to about 2-4" depending on variety.

what is a good type of lettuce for hot summer climates?
Leaf/bibb lettuces and any resistant to bolting. We grow Black Seeded Simpson throughout most of the year expect in the hottest months. Ithaca is another good heat tolerant variety.

Can a put DE around and on some of my plants that are always bothered by bugs?
A word of caution. DE can and will kills a lot more than *bad* bugs. Which bugs are causing the problem? Perhaps there's another solution?

How do you stop tomatoe plants from rotting when it rains to much?
You can try adding more organic matter to your soil to allow it to drain a little better. Are the fruits or actual plants rotting? If the fruits are, then you can try adding some calcium to the soil to prevent end rot. Crush up some eggshells and incorporate them into the soil. Is the rain just making the soil soggy? You should have good drainage with raised beds, right?

These are my suggestions, hope the help.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I remember your garden from BYC, Henry, and am impressed now, as I was then! :)

Are the temperatures currently normal for your area? And, what are they: hot, comfortable, chilly, or cold?

Aside from aphids, what types of bugs are giving you problems? There are many safe ways to combat bugs, but it depends upon what type of bugs they are.

Do you know about not releasing the ladybugs during the day? When you buy yours, there will probably be instructions with them.

I sure do hope the rain slows for you; it sounds as if you've had enough for the time being!

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for you but I just had to say, dang Henry, that is gorgeous garden!! Awesome!!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Adding pelletized lime to the ground around your tomatoes will help the bottom rot.

hcammack2

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone. I am not really sure what other types of bugs there are but they sure like eggplant leaves :( . We also have lots of ants for some reason I don't know why. The weather here has bin very rainy and cool for this time of year. I like it though because it gets to hot to fast here. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone,
Henry

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've read that planting basil around tomato plants can help with some pests. I, too, think your garden is gorgeous and I am very jealous!! :barnie

Latest posts