My Garden + a few questions

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That is a very impressive garden you have there, and its alot of work too.I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor soon.
Tutter, why can't you release ladybugs during the day? I was going to order some as well.It would be good to know.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Henry,

Nice Garden!!!! As far as your bug problem...try using some Seven dusted on your plants in the morning when the dew is on them. This should help with the leaf eaters. Also, not sure if this will help with the tomato plant rot, but I sprinkle Epson Salt around the base of the plant for extra nutrients and it helps grow a healthier and more producing plant.

Your question: How do you stop tomato plants from rotting when it rains to much?

Sounds to me like a drainage problem. But I can't see why this would happen if you have raised beds. I would try not to plant the tomato plants to deep in the ground.

Good luck!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Simple Life,

They will just fly away if you aren't careful. The minimum you should do to prevent that, is release them late, so that they have all night to settle, and can check out their surroundings, once it gets light.

I also make sure there's moisture around for them to drink from, until the begin to eat.

Some people cool them off to around 40 degrees to calm them. (It's a common practice to hold them in the ice box.)

It's also a common practice, recommended by some of the companies which ship them, to spray them in their container with either some sugar water, or a mixture of soda and water, before releasing them. What I don't like about modern sodas are the chemicals in them, and corn syrup. Maybe it's okay, but if I were going to do it, I'd choose the plain sugar water.

They do the above in order to prevent them from flying, giving them more of a chance to find food in the garden they were put in, thus staying once it wears off. That happens in a few days.

I don't know about anyone else, but I like bugs in general, and ladybugs in particular. I enjoy seeing them. :)

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tutter,
Thank you for that information, if the company doesn't send that info with the ladybugs I would not have known that at all and released them during the day.

hcammack2

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks tutter we are going to get them today and replace a few tomatoes.

I don't think its a drainage problem I guess they might just be over watered not really rotting.

Everything else looks great and the lettuce is so good ! we are taking out the mesclun today because it has bolted but the lettuce is fine we will probably do something with the radishes tonight for dinner.

Thanks everyone for the compliments,
Henry

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi, Wclawrence. :)

Bolting is when a plant goes to seed. That can be triggered by temperature, day length, or, in a few cases, becoming too rootbound.

wclawrence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ahhh, yes. Bolting. AKA going to seed. I have always just called that "going to seed" and I try to make sure I let some of my root crops do that every year.
I have 8 different varieties of radishes and I am hoping for some to volunteer a little different.

hcammack2

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So bugs are what is causing the tomatoes problem I looked closly and there are allot of holes and a small beattle like insect that has a shiny gold back.

Any Ideas I am going to but some DE on it is that ok? their is no wind today and i won't use much.

Thanks,
Henry

Latest posts