My gardening journal, day 1

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My broccoli did nothing but attract cabbage moths. I really don't know what went wrong, unless it was the weather, but peas did well, so you would think broccoli would have, too. Steve, I have gotten three ripe tomatoes so far this year. But it doesn't look like there are a lot of blossoms or little tomatoes on the plants. The beans all look a little better after two days of rain. My kale was decimated by those striped little worms that eat cole crops. Hoping it will recover after I dosed it with dipel.
@AMKuska, it is so great that your little one wants to help and enjoy the veggies. Very gratifying!
Looks like you are getting that hot summer your DH predicted.

CrazyFeathers

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Love that little pea eating helper you have there, he's adorable! My grandson is a pea fanatic as well, next year I'm planting double. I let him in the fenced garden for the first time yesterday ( he is 22 months) and he was so excited to be in the "off limits" area he was doing laps around the cucumber and zucchini plants lol. It was all fun and games until he stepped on one and was evicted from the garden lol.
I pick peas for him daily and its never enough, more more he says and grandma says everyday, you ate them all again we will have to wait until tomorrow. I sure hope this kid will love fresh beans, I bet I can fill him up then.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had another wonderful day out in the gardens. The corn was ready for picking, so I enlisted Mr. Helpful to come out in the gardens with me. Together we picked all of the corns, pulled up the plants, weeded and tractored some chickens over the now empty space to pick up seeds and bugs.

It was a really fun day and we got a lot done. Also did a small amount of goofing off involving beating the stuffing out of each other with the tassels of the corn. A couple of the neighbors saw us waging war and came out to join the fun. :) We sent them back with ears of delicious corn!

Mr. Helpful wants to move to a chicken farm too. :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
WP_20150824_18_35_49_Pro.jpg

Mr. Helpful and I redid this garden for a fall "Salad Bar" for the chickens. You may notice the exceptional looking soil. Guess what? That is our very own compost we made! We filled 4 50 pound bags with the stuff, and I'll be filling two more, just gotta sift out the few remaining sticks and the odd rock that somehow got in there. Yay!

You may also notice the dead grass. It has been 3 months since it has rained, with a small exception about a month ago, where it rained for about 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Latest posts