My hen is crowing

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Apparently...it's a game bird thing. I went out this morning, to do the chicken chores. I have 8 hens and a roo in the main coop, and 2 in the infirmary coop. So, I was walking up the driveway, towards the coops. I heard the rooster next door crow. Then mine crowed to reply. Then......a creaky crow from out to the side. I thought one of the other neighbors roos as out back. Nope. It happened again. I pin pointed it behind the big umbrella I had put in front of the infirmary run.

I have 2 hens in there. I don't expect the Barred Rock is the one crowing. The other is a game/Plymouth mix. I have only ever had the game hens do the crowing.....back when we had an accidental flock of game hens. And we had to cull their rooster. The ladies took a vote and voted one hen to be their "rooster".

I was telling DH about it just now, and he said he thought he heard a weird crowing last weekend.

too funny

Oh, this particular game hen just reached menopause I think. She was a 2013 hatch.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not uncommon.
I have several hens who have spurs like the roos. And several years ago, when I was rooster-less for a while, one of my older hens started crowing and even doing the "Lookie! I found a treat! Come see!" call.
It didn't effect her egg-laying so I just ignored it.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lol...from my recent observations, she has only laid 1 egg in the 2 weeks in the infirmary coop. The other hen, 3 yrs younger, I had put in there because she was showing egg bound symptoms. She appears better, but like the crowing one, only has laid the one egg. I haven't seen any of the BR hens crow.

Latest posts