My "little" tomato plot update Aug 5, 2011

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well here's a update on my tomatoes + other stuff in the garden.

When I last left you on 06/15/2011 5:51 pm I had just planted 99 tomatoes out in the garden.
Here is a picture of the tomatoes on 06/15/2011 when there tomatoes were 3 months old.
7054_dsc_1203.jpg

Here they are today almost a month later and plants are around 4 months old. Lots of little yellow blossoms please excuse the weeds that is on my list of things to do :D
7054_dsc_0068.jpg

7054_dsc_0067.jpg

Here is a picture of my Buckwheat.
7054_dsc_0071.jpg

Chris

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
OH, MY!

You have got some tomatoes in the works there, Chris!

The plants I set out had a few tiny green fruit on them. Those have begun to ripen! I have had about half a hand-full of cherries out of my patch!

What variety will be your first to ripen??

Steve

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted Roma, Better Boy, Campbell and 1 cherry, I believe that the Roma's are going to be the first to harvest.
I hit them one time with 20-20-20 and that was right after I planted them. I think I am going to tie and weed them tomorrow then I may mulch them with some manure compost.
I have some small green tomatoes also but I thin that there is going to be more coming on this week, we just had a good rain today and there calling for more tomorrow.

Chris

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a sea of tomatoes!! Holy cow, you are going to be making some sauce! I have a few little green ones...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chris..do you like the staking method? Do you trim some branches and leave only a few? What do you do with all those tomatoes. 99 plants seem sooooo many. I only have 8 and that was pushing it.

Mary

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
That is a sea of tomatoes!! Holy cow, you are going to be making some sauce! I have a few little green ones...
Sauce, sauce and more sauce I hope. ;)
We would like to put up enough sauce to last from harvest to harvest. I think we might do it this year. :lol:

Chris

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Chris..do you like the staking method? Do you trim some branches and leave only a few? What do you do with all those tomatoes. 99 plants seem sooooo many. I only have 8 and that was pushing it.

Mary
Hi Mary,
I like to use "Cattle Panel" fencing better than staking.
Do you trim some branches and leave only a few?
I will trim some branches,suckers but not many.
What do you do with all those tomatoes
We (the wife and I ) do a lot of canning, we will make Spaghetti Sauce, Catchup, Salsa, Chilli Sauce and Whole Tomatoes. We also try to buy very little from the store so what we plant we will try to make it last till next harvest.

Chris

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Chris, I've never seen buckwheat. Very cool looking plant! Not what I would have expected buckwheat to look like. Your plants look amazingly healthy and happy. Enjoy that harvest when you get to it!:cool:

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
Chris, I've never seen buckwheat. Very cool looking plant! Not what I would have expected buckwheat to look like. Your plants look amazingly healthy and happy. Enjoy that harvest when you get to it!:cool:
The Buckwheat is what fell from the bird feeder that I thought I would let grow.
Thank you you the kind words.

Chris

Latest posts