my new cud chewing beauty queen

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
How are the teats with the Big Boy still nursing?

The cow can be so sensitive that she wouldn't want a soft-handed person milking and the calf with the teeth and head bumps will begin to lose out.

I know who would have ended up milking her once the novelty wore off.

Mom said that her mother told her never, ever to milk a cow. She stuck with that. I think Dad may have tried to trick her into it with that hunting trip with my brother when I was such a young kid. She never relented and I was left holding the bag ... so to speak. It was okay. At 8 or 9, I may have just been excited to do it as a challenge. I thought it was gonna be a life-long career. S'Okay. I liked cows.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
He's only a month old (Today!), so not all THAT big yet.
She's doing great. Holding her weight well, looking good and being very patient. I'm more concerned with chapping in this cold weather, but so far, everything is good. I've got a great udder balm that a friend makes and it has almost instantly healed the two small scrapes that I've noticed.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This works great on chapped hands
8670__45128.1434562848.1280.1280.jpg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
That might be the way I'll have to go.
Mya, one of the boarder cows - and 6months old! - had discovered the 'milk bar'. Eva, being the easy going girl she is, has not put up much of an objection. Which means that I haven't gotten any milk in a week!!! :rant

I told her owner. He's supposed to be working on getting them back home...
Having them (the boarders) has been an education. And having Jeff's help with some of my fencing issues has been wonderful. But I'm ready to go back to just my one cow and her calf. :(

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well... I'm officially back down to just my Eva-love and her little Prince Carter.
I'm beyond happy with the new situation. Eva is 'adjusting'. She looked so sad all afternoon yesterday standing in one pasture looking and bellowing, then running to the other and looking and bellowing. :hit
She hasn't missed a meal yet .... so she's not TOO upset. ;)

I have to say though... And it's more an problem with my pride or vanity or something... but I got my feelings a little bit hurt that, after doing all the caring-for work for them for a year, and often providing feed and hay when bringing feed wasn't 'convienent' for their owners, and ending up footing the bill for vaccinations, and taming the little wild beasties... I apparently was expecting at least one of them to toss a 'thank you' my way as they pulled off....

Oh well. Many lessons learned. Time to focus on the cows that I'm actually responsible for.
Bye-bye boarding cows! :frow
Eva and Carter dec 2016.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would have handed them the vaccine bills. It's their cows.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe you will get a Thank you note in the mail. I would ask what do you want to do about vaccine bill? You have every right to feel hurt. You boarded 2 of their animals for a year, at my place they would be looking a several thousands in bill.

Latest posts