my new cud chewing beauty queen

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, he'll have a wonderful life doing all the things that cows love to do. He'll be spoiled and loved on. And then, when he's a year or so old, he'll go into the freezer.

Which brings up something. I've posted picts on facebook. And mostly I've gotten "awww, how cute" and such. Which is great - and I AM really proud of Eva, and of the care and hard work that went into growing that healthy little fella.
But a few have said things like "That's a shame, wish it had been a girl so you wouldn't kill it." or "How sad, so I guess you're going to butcher him?" Now, @baymule , I'm not talking about your post, because I know that you understand this 'livestock' thing and you don't mean it to be derogatory. But they were meaning it in a criticizing way. I'm trying to just let those comments slide - but I want to jump in and explain that I'm NOT going to butcher him tomorrow... and that by the time that does come around, he will very likely NOT be a cute, cuddly little thing - he will very likely be a typical steer and I will be GLAD to see the backside of him go into the trailer.

Tuesday will be my first attempt at milking.. wish me luck.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I fully knew the drawbacks of birthing a bull calf, but that is his future. Right now I am happy for you and its momma. Later I will be just as happy to hear how tasty he is knowing he was raised well, fed well, and making his contribution to your family.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@canesisters I get the same thing from people about my lambs. I love them, cuddle them, care for them, laugh at their antics and enjoy them. They have a good life. I do my very best to make sure that they are healthy and happy and I cry bitterly when I lose one.

When I raised 3 pigs last winter, my own sister called me cruel. But she doesn't mind eating factory industrial meat. My pigs had a large space to run in, dig and root, a mud hole, a warm shelter with hay, treats and I'm cruel? :barnie

You have every right to be proud of Eva and Carter. Don't forget to be proud of yourself, you have worked hard to bring this calf into the world. His birth was highly anticipated by everyone here and WE are proud of you! :clap I can't wait to hear about your first milking!!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hit Got another one of those zingers last night. Dad finally came by to see the calf. He asked 'What is it, boy or girl?" Then said "Well, you got your milk.... and that's what you wanted isn't it." :( Thanks Dad. Very supportive.

BUT! On a brighter note. The first night of milk training went GREAT! (milk training for me.. she already has a pretty good idea how do to her part ;) )
first milking 12.13.16.jpg

Didn't taste it, no filter or anything yet so there's all sorts of stuff floating in there. :confused:
I'm just getting the routine down and everything right now.

@valley ranch , would you say - at 4 days freshening - that 'cream line' is cream or colostrum? If that's ALL CREAM... Eva is going to be a butter/cheese making machine! :lol:

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Hi, That's great, nice looking fellow!

As for filters, we use paper towels, you can fold them into a cone an set it in a funnel, put a spoon under the paper so the milk can strain through.

Richard

There is still some colostrum in the milk there will be for a couple more days. You already know it is to insure bowl working. Once it looks like milk, rich mild, you can judge, there will be no more colostrum. She has Jersey blood, so you'll have rich creamy healthy milk.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats on a job well done! You raised her, had her bred, cared for her during her pregnancy and she presented you with a calf. :love This is the culmination of your dreams. :clap I agree with @Nyboy I'd frame that picture and hang it on the wall!

cane, don't listen to the naysayers and don't let the remarks of others rain on your parade. WE know what this means to you and we celebrate with you. :hugs

Latest posts