1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Canning Question - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

my new cud chewing beauty queen

Discussion in 'Gardening With Animals' started by canesisters, Apr 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dec 10, 2017
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

Of course Cane is a happy person. I think most on here are happy except for one grouchy moron I blocked-now I’m happier.

Curious, how many have eaten grass fed beef? & prefer it?

@thistlebloom ok, went back & re-read your post, didn’t get your play on words the first time.....feel stupid for it. :barnie
    :plbb

thistlebloom likes this.
  2. Dec 10, 2017
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

Sorry Seed, I had caffeinated coffee today for the first time in awhile. Makes me think I'm funnier than I really am. :hide

Nyboy and canesisters like this.
  3. Dec 11, 2017
    canesisters

canesisters Garden Master

Yes, for the most part I AM happy. :D Although I don't know that I've ever paid any attention to the diet of the beef that I've eaten. Or.. actually.. that I've even KNOWN what it's eaten.. Is that posted somewhere on the package of 'Food Lion' brand meats?????
    Anyhow, grass fed it's gonna be. He's the bovine version of the Pillsbury Dough Boy - so he has NOT gotten any EXTRA food! Pudgy little brat. I was joking a few days ago that when I poke him, my finger goes in to the knuckle. :gig Surprised that he doesn't say "He he" when I do it.

OMG! Went looking for a picture of the doughboy ..
    doughboy.jpg

.. found THIS!!!
    doughcow.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

baymule, thistlebloom and Nyboy like this.
  4. Dec 11, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

I have sprayed my screen with coffee more then a few times after reading a post from you :lol:

thistlebloom likes this.
  5. Dec 13, 2017
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

Very happy people like grass fed-probably healthier......Why Seedcorn! Thank you for the compliment! :lol:

thistlebloom likes this.
  6. Dec 13, 2017
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted

Which do you prefer ... just the pie crust or the whole pie ? Same thing with eating only " grass fed" ... all cattle are grass fed,( that is what cattle eat afterall ) then when they get the benefit of grains, that enhances the natural flavors. That makes me happy and healthy. With all of the push to "eat healthy " by eating grass fed, vegetarian, vegan, the balanced diet, etc. why is the latest statistic is decreasing US National health and life span in the news ? Why haven't the Eskimos died out centuries ago since a very large portion of their diet is animal meat,fat blubber ?

Nyboy likes this.
  7. Dec 13, 2017
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

We seem to be combining different factors that probably don't fit all that well together. Happiness is subjective. Taste is subjective. Genetics play different roles.

No doubt, the diet of cattle influences their flavor. The microorganisms that are chewing on us during the winter cold season might be able to identify our brand of coffee, if'n they have the communication skills.

Human diets are only one part of a healthy or unhealthy lifestyle. The CDC tells us: "The prevalence of obesity for adults aged 20 to 74 years increased by 7.9 percentage points for men and by 8.9 percentage points for women between 1976–1980 and 1988–1994, and subsequently by 7.1 percentage points for men and by 8.1 percentage points for women between 1988–1994 and 1999–2000." Further, the CDC says: "diagnosed diabetes increased from 0.93% in 1958 to 7.40% in 2015."

We can conflate many different issues. Maybe we should talk about trivial things like hair loss or very serious problems like opioid addiction or why American farmers have such a very high suicide rate.

Diet. Pre- "modern" diets fit within lifestyles and cultures of human societies. These tendencies, habits, choices and requirements for life continued in some cases for thousands of years. Uh oh, we may drift into genetics and evolution!

Anyway, comparing a native of a tropical Central American environment with a nearly total vegetarian diet to the native of the Arctic with very little opportunity to harvest wild plant foods let alone, grow a garden, is problematic. Just what is a "paleo-diet?"

A "modern" diet might be easier for us to define despite the complexity of the food industry. Our food is very much tampered with ... (should I have put that in quotes?) Anyway, this tampering, modifying, processing, and whatever -- begins before the living food organism even exists and goes into the feedlot or incubator or the seed drill. And, it continues ...

At least, we have choices. Some human populations do not.

Steve

Susannah likes this.
  8. Dec 13, 2017
    canesisters

canesisters Garden Master

cow[1].gif :weee lillamu5-756439[1].gif
    turkydance1[1].gif :weee Smilies_Funny_DancingChicken[1].gif
    (enjoying all my choices :D )

Susannah, pjn, baymule and 2 others like this.
  9. Dec 13, 2017
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

Where is horse meat? Or rabbit? Or squirrel?

10. Dec 14, 2017
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

I've never eaten horse meat. Rabbit and squirrel, yup.