my new cud chewing beauty queen

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
You mean all the friends and family who tear up when I talk about butchering Carter?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
EXACTLY @baymule !!

No, all of these folks are HAPPY to eat meat, eggs, cheese, milk, etc - as long as it comes from a store.
My brother in law is ALL into grilling. I asked her if she thought he might like an IOU for some prime steaks for Christmas. She nearly had a stroke at the THOUGHT of having meat in her freezer that used to have a name. :rolleyes:
Just to freak her out, a few years ago I labeled all of the chicken that I put in the freezer with their names! "Bits-o-Hurra", "Cracko legs & wings" :lol:

I've given up trying to explain the hows & whys of homegrown v/s commercially processed.
A decade ago I would have had 'that look' if someone tried to give me some deer. Now... :drool

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane i know it must hurt having family and friends thinking your doing something bad, but you know what is right. I wish i could do the same. If they have such a problem over a name, give the next one a name like sirloin or hamburger.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
sFun_duh2.gif

Just told the woman who fills in for me at work that I need to be off on the 18th.
"Oh, taking a little vaca?"
"Naw, I gotta go with the hauler to take Carter to the processors."
"WHAT!!! Oh no! You really going to DO that to him??? Nooo. You kidding?? You're kidding aren't you. Oh noo."

good grief o_O Get over it! Do I question YOUR life choices

This will get funny after a while.. :smack

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They don't know what they are missing, keep that in mind Cane while they are being such blatant hypocrites. In my small circle it is known that "TJ eats her pets", I just laugh at the ones who get upset and tell 'em "Guess you won't be coming to dinner!". "Good, more for me!" works well too. They don't get eggs or garden goodies either since it is grown with the compost of said animals. I have found they quit after a while when they see their comments make no difference, or they want eggs...
As for raising your own meat the packages that come back from the butcher really have little to no relation to the animal you sent. It is harder when you do your own butchering but few do anymore.
Also make sure you trust your butcher to get you your own meat back, had that happen a couple times.
What a wonderful journey you have taken, congrats on your beef!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just come here with your stories of peoples reactions to reality Cane. We'll laugh at them with you.

Talking to an old high school friend this morning who keeps in touch regularly.
As we were talking the young bull moose and his mammy strolled by the window, about 20 feet away. I told her about it and she was ooohing and ahhing at the wonder of it.
Then I told her about one of the boys in my garden class who drew a moose tag this year, and bagged a cow on his families property. She was stunned, not comprehending how someone could kill such a beautiful creature for food.

Yep, it makes your food more personal to see it breathing, and for those who harvest the food you raise, to have taken care of it.
I think it also makes you more appreciative, and maybe a little humble.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister wants me to go with her to one of those 'paint your own ceramics' places tomorrow. I've done it a few times and always feel like it's more of a 'sister day' than a chance to create a useful item. BUT!!! Tomorrow I believe that I'm going to be doing a serving platter and THIS is what I'm going to write on it after it's all painted:

platter.jpg

:plbb

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is the cost of food for the 3 years?

Well - first one was purchasing and raising Eva.
The second one was (mostly) while she was pregnant. Since I consider her first few years as investment on all her future production, they probably shouldn't count as 'cost' of Carter.
The third one he has lived almost entirely off of Eva and pasture. He's had ... maybe 3 bags of sweet feed split between him and Eva - so ... $20 in 'feed' to him. And 4 round bales since the pasture has petered out.. so $60 in hay to him..
I all honesty - I count this entire journey as valuable skills learned. The cost is negligible compared to what I gained personally.

Latest posts