1. Dismiss Notice
  2. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Featured Thread:1st day of Spring :)
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

My New Hotbed

Discussion in 'Indoor & Greenhouse Gardening' started by ducks4you, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Mar 10, 2017
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

Your hot bed is looking awesome. The soil is a gardener's dream! I got the 60 bags of pine needles from our DD to put in the chicken coop, they love them. I also put them in the sheep shed, then cover with hay. It is so easy to let the animals make compost!

ducks4you and Nyboy like this.
  2. Mar 20, 2017 at 7:14 PM
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Addicted

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    D'aww! Thanks! UNfortunately I used my compost thermometer and the manure mix measured only 55 degrees F. :hit
    I will NOT be daunted! It is now only a coldframe, but I have the whole summer to figure out how to make it cook. PLUS, I will be killing off equine parasites at the same time.
    I checked the bed Saturday and it was soaking wet, so I pulled up the window and plastic over the direct seeded radishes. They are looking like happy like shamrocks now.
    I also planted carrot seeds around them. Last night I replaced the plastic and the window.
    Last night, according to my refilled water buckets (for the stalls), we got 3 inches of rain from the T-storms which woke up and scared my dog, but I didn't hear them.
    When I turned out my horses this morning they asked me if I had heard the horrible storm pounding on their barn's new (2015) barn roof.
    [​IMG]
    I lied and told them that they were lucky ponies to be in their safe and dry boxes while the storm was raging.
    They believed me.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    baymule, Nyboy and thistlebloom like this.
  3. Mar 20, 2017 at 7:45 PM
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Addicted

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    I was trying to figure out how to use this bed to put out my tomatoes early this year and I think I now know. You know how you bury most of the tomato so that it will form roots along the stem?
    https://bonnieplants.com/library/plant-tomatoes-deep-deep-deep/
    I think if I bury them like this, instead:
    "Dig a trench – Dig a trench larger enough to lay your tomato seedling down sideway while still giving the first stems enough room to stick out a few inches above the soil surface. By laying the plants sideways, you’ll help them develop better vertical roots. This is especially helpful if you have leggy seedlings."
    https://www.growjourney.com/five-tomato-growing-tricks/#.WNAri2favcs
    I don't have enough clearance to prevent the tops of the tomato plants from crashing into the windows and I don't want to put them out in their beds until after Memorial Day (unless, of course, it becomes abnormally warm in May.)
    "Bury the stem and lay the plant sideways, add some organic, slow-release fertilizer or compost to the trench and stir it around. ...Once your trench is ready, bury the tomato plant (and stem) up to a few inches below the first branches."
    I have had more success moving my sweet peppers to the east facing porch and keep them there until I bed them, so I only need room for some of the tomatoes and see if they grow faster this way.

4. Mar 23, 2017 at 1:32 AM
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

I have 6 flats of tomatoes and pepper seedlings. I put them out in the mornings and bring them in around 3 PM because the house shades them. Then they go under a florescent light until we go to bed. The tomatoes are getting leggy, so i'll plant them like you described.

ducks4you likes this.