My new lettuce gutters!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome!

It just looks like a fancy trellis. Well I guess in a way it is :D

Can't wait for the update with veggies growing all over it!
(No pressure!!! :gig )

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
That really looks nice, and a great way to get a lot of produce out of not many square feet. Did you need to drill drain holes in the bottom, or does it just drain out the ends?

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are no drain holes in it and the ends are capped. I am more worried about them being too dry than too wet. It gets very hot here so they are likely to dry out too much but we will put in drain holes if it seems necessary at any point.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
There are no drain holes in it and the ends are capped. I am more worried about them being too dry than too wet. It gets very hot here so they are likely to dry out too much but we will put in drain holes if it seems necessary at any point.
Being in So Cal you are probably right about them drying out with to much drainage. I hope you post pics when they are growing, so we can see how good they look when in use. Great project!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There should be a "star rating" for threads here on TEG. This looks like it rates about a 5 star to me!

Many years ago, I worked at a commercial greenhouse and we had something like this. The greenhouse was for cut flower production but there was some retail associated and we had a few green plants.

The smaller hanging plants were kept in just such a gutter arrangement. About the only difference was that the gutters did have downpipes.

We could set a hose in the top gutter and allow water to trickle in there for an hour or so. The outlet for each gutter was off the bottom so each would fill about an inch.

Now, these plants were in pots set in the gutters - if that would make any difference. Also, this was inside a range of greenhouses so the humidity was high.

I can also say that yours is very attractive. Great job, PW!

Steve

luvsdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
PotterWatch, I really like that! Can't wait to see pics of it filled with different colors of salad!!:watering

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'll make certain to post updated pics when it is green and growing!

Latest posts