MY NEW PUPPY!!!!!

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yay ! I have border collies too ! the best breed I ever own ! One named Jessie knows how to say " I Love you !" Congrats !! P.S. Buy LOTS of tennis balls !!!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some kinds of Dog get their own Latin Taxonomic Nomenclature names!

Our Beam, a Chesapeke Bay Retriever, was a DOGGITUS STICKITUS. He could smell out any stick thrown into any grass or weeds no matter how tall. Actually, he could smell farther than he could see. Why was his name "Beam"? Because if you tossed a stick that was too small he'd come back with a Beam of a log in his mouth dragging it. One time an old guy with a peg leg fell off a houseboat down at Sausalito. Beam did not miss a beat and jumped in after him. The man was sinking! Beam went down and came back up with the man's peg leg in his mouth and saved his life!!!

Whenever there was a frisbee around, Beam's name was TEMPORARILY changed to FRISBEE JONES. (Sung to the tune of Bazuh'ball Jones by Cheech and Chong.)

I sure wish Dogs and Cats lived as long as people. I sorely miss ole Beam, still, after all these decades.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Marshal You should really invest in some Sea Turtles. They'd end up being the ones who'd miss you after a few decades...
:old

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm super excited and a little scared. I am wondering if Iwas crazy to get him when I am working so hard to get the farm up and running again! But I figure he can really learn as we go. I will be posting more pics and I am sure asking advice as needed! Love your story Marshall. I too am sad as our Dog Chinny is in her final year I think. She was darn near perfect, except for the fact she never chased the deer away. She is lab/chow, with lab leanings in the personality department.

Off to plant an acre...after I sneek a peak at a few more posts!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really? This isn't a tall tale?Sounds like Mark Twain!
marshallsmyth said:
Some kinds of Dog get their own Latin Taxonomic Nomenclature names!

Our Beam, a Chesapeke Bay Retriever, was a DOGGITUS STICKITUS. He could smell out any stick thrown into any grass or weeds no matter how tall. Actually, he could smell farther than he could see. Why was his name "Beam"? Because if you tossed a stick that was too small he'd come back with a Beam of a log in his mouth dragging it. One time an old guy with a peg leg fell off a houseboat down at Sausalito. Beam did not miss a beat and jumped in after him. The man was sinking! Beam went down and came back up with the man's peg leg in his mouth and saved his life!!!

Whenever there was a frisbee around, Beam's name was TEMPORARILY changed to FRISBEE JONES. (Sung to the tune of Bazuh'ball Jones by Cheech and Chong.)

I sure wish Dogs and Cats lived as long as people. I sorely miss ole Beam, still, after all these decades.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope, the story about Beam is not a tall tale.

There were several times different neighbors asked to borrow Beam for breeding purposes. He was a purebred Chesapeke Bay Retriever, but at that time there was no accepting into the breed his "Liver" color, which is a true and normal color for Chesapekes. He was just too dark for the snobbish breed accepter paperwork pushers. That's alright though. He was the best ever Chesapeke Bay Retriever. For those who don't know the breed, picture a Chocolate Lab. Now visualize a Neanderthal version of Chocolate Lab. Chesapekes are born mature minded. He was not picked out of his litter for purity or beauty. As a little puppy, he was the only one who climbed what to the puppies was a mountain of stairs, all the way to the top! That's the one! Even when they said he wouldn't be able to be papered, nope, that's the one anyway.

Beam would have been a great dog for a Twain story. I don't know if London would have had much to write about him though, unless he'd be on the Snark or among the Oyster Pirates.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love that story! I love my cats; so soft and calm. But there is something so incredibly wonderful about a dog. They are connected and loyal in a way my cats will never be.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just thought I'd put in a photo of the most loyal and faithful cat presently living in the world. This is Peeper Tutankhaman Peachy Smyth, mainly British Shorthair. I raised him here in the woods. He was a kitten during winter when there are very few people around. He is a special personality, with a big huge heart. There have only been a very few others he will let even touch him. A true watch cat, he is my eyes and ears. My son.

9018_100_3168.jpg

Clevland Beautiful Smyth is 2 years younger than Peeps. He was raised by the best local animal rescue expert, Ember Koski. She trained him to be a Gophergitter outdoor cat, but he has earned being an indoor cat. Clev's a mainly Abyssinian, that is, practically a different species than Peeper by character and ways.

9018_100_3173c.jpg

Both of them have a very special story!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
a friend of mine breeds and raises border collies. i've been tempted to see if she is planning any upcoming litters to see about a little girl. i'd love to have a playmate for my corgi boy Ein! the cat just doesn't quite cut it when it comes to roughhousing with each other. the cat does have one very valuable skill the dog seems to love a lot! he pushes food items from high places the dog can't get to! :lol:

my friend with the collies did mention to me that letting them play fly ball tends to keep them hyper. teaching them to herd should help to teach them patience. they are one of the most intelligent, if not the most intelligent breed out there. but you have to help keep their mind focused on learning and obedience.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love BCs... they're so stinkin SMART!

When my oldest friend and I were both still married to our ex husbands (Not the same guy tho that would be weird... LOL) he got her a BC. I told him that he was an idiot because they lived in an apartment and both worked full time jobs and were gone more than home, and that BCs need room to run and play and have discipline and they had no business in an apartment.

Her husband told me that it would be fine because he would take her for walks. Now mind you.. the man was about 150 pounds overweight and I'd never seen him walk anywhere but from his apartment to his front door. As she got a little older she got more energy, and she started doing more BC like things. His solution? Buy her a shock collar and when she got up from her bed or got excited he would shock her. She would spend all day in a crate, and then be shocked for getting up from "her spot" when she was out.

Needless to say I found her a new home without his permission (but my friend knew because she agreed with me) and then just told him that I had her out and someone knocked on the door and she got out and ran away. :D His daughter cried, but, I would have rather seen his daughter cry, than for that dog to go thru living like that another day.

Latest posts