MY NEW PUPPY!!!!!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
He hates the leash and holds it in his mouth as we walk!
Put something that tastes bad on the leash as this is a habit that can come back to haunt you. I've seen dogs break teeth when they chase with the leash in their mouth. I usually use tabasco and give him an alternative like a toy or chew to carry in place of the leash.

One other thing you should invest in is a tennis racket. Something cheap, like from the used sports equipment store. Get yourself a can of tennis balls, toss a ball up and smack it with the racket. Let Tieko take off like a little black and white missle and chase that ball down and repeat the game. I do this with my Golden Retrievers (another fetching machine) to help condition them for our hunt tests and help fight the boredom. The farther you can hit it, the farther they have to chase it. The farther they have to chase it the quicker they wear down. Ill even hit it into the tall grass and let them use their nose to find it. Anything to keep them busy.

Kong makes a good toy too. Each is a funny shaped Kong piece that you can put treats into and put together like a weird erector set. That way they have to take them apart to get the food out.

Or get the traditional kongs and fill it with peanut butter and throw it in the freezer for a few hours. The peanut butter will freeze and this way the dog has to lick and lick and lick at it to get any. Its a peanut butter flavored pupsicle that will keep him entertained for a while.

I don't know if they still make them or not but they used to make a hard rubber ball that had large knobs on it. I think it had 4 or 6 sides. You throw it and each time it hit the ground it would skip off at a weird angle, so the dog couldn't ever anticipate the direction. Traditional kongs are good for that too. We regularly play with those too so the dogs can't get a jump on your throw.

Congrats on the new puppy I hope he stays out of trouble. BCs are a great breed but not for everybody. Im sure its a good fit for you and once he learns the ins and outs of your farm he'll be a blessing to have around. Keep us posted!!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
the Kong is a wonderful toy for those that get bored and become destructive chewers if they don't have one! i used to put a frozen meatball in ours. my corgi never liked peanut butter and would turn his nose up to anything with it as a flavor. he does love carrots, the bigger the better too!

if they don't like to play with the Kong at first you can take a little bacon grease and smear some on the outside to get their interest. my corgi was very quick to figure out the idea of the Kong and would get the treat out at first after and hour of play. now it can take him 5-10 minuted but, boy is it fun to watch him work it! he flings it as hard as he can (while standing on the couch) and pieces will come out as he chews it and breaks up the meatball inside. he now takes and hide it when it is empty so he thinks he'll just get the treat without the workout. :lol:

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They also make a black kong thats even denser than the red ones so its tougher to chew. I had a Belgian Malinois that needed black kongs and even those didn't last that long when he decided he wanted to play.