My new tools

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice set! My BIL bought my DH a 3-pc cordless set similar to that as a gift because he said he just needed to have one and turns out he did. :) So nice not to have to drag a cord. The saws-all (not sure what else it's called) freaks me out a little, but it did come in handy for some demolition I needed to do. (Shhh...don't tell DH I touched his tools! LOL.) You've got your very own set. Even better! Maybe I need a set too. ;)

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What on earth did we do before cordless power tools? In my lifetime I must have run miles of electric cords all over creation. I used a hammer and sharp punch to pound holes in sheetmetal then used a screw driver to twist and twist and twist sheetmetal screws into those holes. My hands hurt just thinking about it. ;)

I have met younger folks who wouldn't even dream of screwing things together by hand.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having to put so much muscle into any project involving power tools (which seems like a cruel joke, to me) has prevented me from becoming proficient with them. In the past there has always been a guy who would eventually do the task for me. Things are a little different now, and so most tasks ....and nearly all honey-do jobs....just don't get done. I think maybe it is time to get my own tools and learn to do it myself.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hide them in a safe place from borrowers. Then again....I always forget where my safe place is.
That's funny, there are several things I put in a safe place, when I put them there, only God and I knew where they were~Now, only God knows!

It is truly good to know I am not alone. I always put my things in a logical, safe place; never just thrown into a place I'm likely to forget. I always remember thinking, "this is a good spot, I'll put it here and it will be easy to remember ". Why I can't remember where that place is a short time later is totally against all logic. Yet it happens time and time again.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is truly good to know I am not alone. I always put my things in a logical, safe place; never just thrown into a place I'm likely to forget. I always remember thinking, "this is a good spot, I'll put it here and it will be easy to remember ". Why I can't remember where that place is a short time later is totally against all logic. Yet it happens time and time again.

Oh yeah! That;s me too.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 , and @so lucky , you should get yourself some tools of your own! It's so great to know you can do a job on the spur of the moment because you don't have to wait to use dh's tools. Or dh.

I have on a few occasions in the past bought myself a couple of inexpensive tools, because my husbands tools are primarily for his (our) livelihood and he's super....organized (thought of another word but it's not so nice :oops: ) about their placement and once in a while I haven't put them away precisely... But anyway, there were times he needed to "borrow" one of my tools until he got his repaired, and they never came back. This eventually led to a tiny bit of friction between us :D .

He did feel bad about it though and naturally I forgave and forgot nearly.
So last year, or maybe it was the year before, he bought me a nice set of Milwaukee cordless tools of my own. Drill, reciprocating saw, and grinder. I don't really use a grinder, but he said it came with a battery and was cheaper than buying just a battery. And because he's such a great guy, he never asks to borrow them anymore. But if he ever needs to, I'll let him. :love

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might have forgiven, but the fact that you mention your hubby's indiscretion with your tools shows you haven't forgotten.

Yes, I'm glad I didn't get a grinder with my 4-piece set. Although if the price is right, I'd buy one just for the battery. Looked today and batteries run $69.99 each. I'm checking on line later today.

I bought that sabre saw today when DH and I went for a stroll through the store for our exercise. I also got a set of drills, drivers, and a blade set for the saws-all. There's one more tool -- a sander -- that might be useful, although I do have a small sander with a cord.

For now, I am done buying tools. . . done until I check my hand tool bucket in the garage. Just because mine are all together and easy access, they are prime for being used and not returned. Mine all have yellow florescent paint on them so they're easy to identify if I do spot one, but hard to find. I know my claw was taken when DS started the basement redo. I doubt it found its way back.

Besides the stroll through the store, DH and I took time to wander through the garden center and its greenhouses. Ah-h-h, sights and smells of spring abound there. They just got in a new shipment of African Violets. I almost picked up the spotted leafed one, but it didn't call quite loudly enough and I managed to escape with only a few new veggie seeds -- yellow pod peas, and two other things still in the car.

I am proud of my restraint. This is one of the highest priced stores for seeds and I know I can find the same varieties elsewhere.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 , and @so lucky , you should get yourself some tools of your own! It's so great to know you can do a job on the spur of the moment because you don't have to wait to use dh's tools. Or dh.

I definitely need a set of my own tools (and like Smart Red, hide them) so I don't have to waste 20 minutes of my precious time looking for what I need before I can start my project. My DH is super messy and I am super organized, and as you can imagine we butt heads on this a lot! :rolleyes: The one thing I find myself hunting for the most is the box cutter. I end up needing that thing almost daily. We have 3 and I am lucky if I can find one. You'd think I would have bought myself one by now. :idunno But yeah, maybe that will make things easier on DH for next Christmas and birthday, etc. Buy me tools! (Which is what I've bought him nearly every year since we married, but now he just about has most things he needs.)

We did get Ava her own set of hand tools (hammer, pliers, etc.) for Christmas. I found a really nice child's set online of real working forged metal tools, all in their own little storage bag. She's as bad as DH though. I can't tell you how many times already I have had to retrieve them from the front yard before a rain. She LOVES to build and make stuff though. If she can get her hands on scrap wood from one of our projects, she will paint, nail and duct tape her way to some pretty neat inventions. She signed up to do a woodworking project for her first year in 4-H this year. :)

Latest posts