My peppermint doesn't smell very minty

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ohh, that's a pretty plant steve! Love the purple stems.

My basil is looking really nice, and i have an apple mint that i bought as a plant this year. The only thing i dont like about the applemint is its SO FURRY! Its leaves are very thick and furred. Its great to put a sprig in when i make sweet black tea tho (store bought teabags!)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can see purple on the stems of Calendula's plant, also. It is somewhat similar but Calendula's looks more like basil . . . to me.

Of course, the basilmint isn't really supposed to look like basil. It smells something like basil.

I like basil, just don't care at all for it in a tea. Taste too much like a food, maybe :rolleyes:. I have that problem with nettle tea. I've eaten nettles as a vegetable - pretty good, too! Anyway, as a tea it reminds me of drinking the liquid from cooked spinach.

Careful with the applemint! It is invading my lawn!

Steve

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Here's a picture of watermint, looks like what you have growing maybe?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...tp://www.scienceviews.com/photo/library/SIA00
I am not for certain if it's watermint, but maybe I'll have a better idea once it flowers. Either way, if it's not going to get more of a minty flavor, I don't really know what I'm going to do with it. :( It was growing so nicely too, I hate to dig it up. But, I will ask around to see if anyone has any cuttings they can spare.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hoodat said:
When you plant mint from seed the results are very uncertain. You might get great mint or (as in your case) not so great mint. Mint is a very variable plant. It's best to get a slip from a clump of mint that you like the taste and odor of. Mint will come true to the parent if planted from slips. Anyone who has mint will be glad to give you a slip or two. It spreads rapidy so they will always have more slips than they know what to do with.
Definitely what he said. I buy my mints in plant form, from an Amish greenhouse- they grow all theirs from slips and are wonderful. This year I got an Applemint and an Indian Mint ( can't recall the 'formal" name of it) and I can't wait to cook with them!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes my applemint is in a container - i've never had mint growing in anything but containers here, not in any of my beds, and i was out weeding in the garden yesterday (shocker! Havent weeded in a while!! Bad gardener ;) ) AND GUESS WHAT I FOUND! Totally random wild looking mint. In my raised veggie bed!! I was so peeved. I just moved it to the mint box, hopefully i got it all, i just yanked on it and didnt realize what it was until it was in my hand.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
NurseNettie said:
. . . an Indian Mint ( can't recall the 'formal" name of it) and I can't wait to cook with them!
Is that Monarda citriodora, Nettie??

I was going to get that this year . . . maybe next year.

Steve

Latest posts