my rose

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
well i was cleaning my rose area, i have 6 roses in about 20 X 3 feet .. i would like to plant something under my roses, and was wondering what everyone else planted with their roses ...
i think i would like to keep weeds down, maybe something that aphids hate ..
i had a very invasive short evergreen plant with yellow flowers under them for years. i noticed the roses were struggling, once i got the evergreen plant out of way - i can see lots of dead wood.
i've been researching companion plants for roses, i was just wondering what real people have done .. thanks

6271_rose.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I do not have many roses with something under them. Typically it is so dense and dark that they block out anything from sprouting.

On the ones that do however, I have one with some maiden hair grass, and I have another with some violets. I actually cannot get the violets to grow anywhere else, and they have been reseeding here and spreading well. Go figure! I do like them too!

pic_Viola_odorata.jpg
they are this one, Viola odorata.

Ron

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Chives & garlic are often planted under roses in cottage gardens because they help deter the bugs which attack roses. I grow a lot of rampant old-fashioned climbing rose which are too dense to let in enough light for these to grow so I just mulch deeply. But more modern roses which stand alone are suitable for chives etc.

I think Ron's solution of violas sounds lovely too.

:rose Hattie :rose

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That rose is breath taking...I want to start roses here at our new place, dont have a plan going yet tho.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thanks guys .. i love the rose before it opens, when it opens the pink is lost ..
so i was wondering on the garlic under the roses, we would not eat the garlic, (we eat maybe 1 clove a week) so could i just go to a organic grocery store and buy a garlic bulb break it up and plant the cloves? i know peaceful valley has garlic bulbs to plant that you intend to eat, but $30 for the variety pack - if your not eating it .....
seed packages $1.25, little more in my price range right now ... i like the violets idea, oh and i wanted to see if i could get lavender from seed to maybe grow too..
well thanks for the info.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You know,

Best to save that Lavender for a more draining spot. Under a rose it would retain moisture, something the Lavender hates! Seems every lavender no matter how many years passes will eventually die because I over water it! Bummer.

Ron

Latest posts