My summer garden classes for kids

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oooh, Arm Long cuc's would be fun! Those transported me right back to age 7 when I watched them grow, harvested, and then ate them! :) I thought I saved about a gagillion seeds, but dang it, I can't FIND them!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today was class #3. We learned about the different hand tools we could use to cultivate our gardens, which was also the Big Fat Word of the Day. Then everybody used the 4 prong cultivator and different hoes (garden, warren, stirrup, triangle or wedge) to attack the weeds. It's interesting that the 4 year old latched onto the stirrup hoe and was very successful with it. "I'm getting all those big powerful weeds out!" he exclaimed. So cute. Weeding is not so much fun at their own homes it's been reported. :p

We also released 1500 ladybugs into one of my apple trees that the aphids love above all others. We looked at aphids up close with the eye loupes and they were all grossed out. We didn't do the release at the correct time of day for them to have a better chance of staying here, but the kids loved it.
We watched a short time lapse you-tube video of a ladybugs life cycle.

After watering their plants which are all sprouting up nicely it was time for them to go home. A shorter than usual class, but they had a special awards picnic to attend. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weeding was in an un-cultivated (;)) area of the kids space where I needed to squeeze my remaining tomatoes in. There are plenty of weeds around their sprouts but I'll take care of those this week without their assistance. I'm working on them to recognize a few common weed species and remember their names, so far not too successfully. We had a weed and wildflower scavenger hunt last week that they did not too bad at. As I tell them, don't just look, observe. Something that I would benefit from also.

Latest posts