My Town Fighting Bee Farm Next To Me

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Bees is good...horses are good for your soul.
BOTH irritate the average residential home owner.
I looked for 12 YEEEEAAAARRRRSSSS to find an affordable AG property to move my horses to the backyard that wasn't next to a modern housing development and zoned for my horses. We had a zoning "scare" 5 years ago, when a local business located here and wanted city zoning instead of county zoning, for cheaper taxes, etc. I was told that my AG2 zoning would remain. I ALSO am aware that I could be fined for nuisance violations, odors, animals escaping and damage, etc. ~30 years of precedence that Favors the residential home owners and discriminates aGAINST the livestock owner.
Bees cannot be fenced in, therefore the owner should always think ahead about their neighbors.
Sorry, beekeepers, YOU have to move or else fight litigation, and THEY WILL WIN!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Huge difference between someone keeping a few hives and processing hundreds of hives.

Surely you agree that owners (regardless of species) should be accountable for damage done by their animals?
Does anyone want to live by someone having 10 hogs in their back yard? Or a bunch of dogs that they don’t keep the manure picked up?

Friend sold ground to golf course. He figured they would want his beef cattle gone. Quite the contrary, people LOVE to see farm animals. All they asked was keep the pens decent looking and manure hauled.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i do like bees, but people don't often understand that the european honey bee is not native and can have negative effects upon native bees.

at the moment i'd like the bee keeper who's stationing his hives next to our property to put them some other place, but as of yet he's not responded to my request to do so and now the hives are gone at last. so i can at least regain access to our property from that location again.

i also don't like how they swarm our bird baths.

oh well.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Huge difference between someone keeping a few hives and processing hundreds of hives.

Surely you agree that owners (regardless of species) should be accountable for damage done by their animals?
Does anyone want to live by someone having 10 hogs in their back yard? Or a bunch of dogs that they don’t keep the manure picked up?

Friend sold ground to golf course. He figured they would want his beef cattle gone. Quite the contrary, people LOVE to see farm animals. All they asked was keep the pens decent looking and manure hauled.
Nope. I read for Years, 1980's-1990's in equine periodicals--about horseowners who lost their properties. At first, they are seen as charming, but it doesn't take long before ANY manure/flies start irritating the neighbors who go to their officials who zone you out. Then you cannot keep your animals on the property, but you can keep the property. What is the point?!?!?
https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/...ir-property-rezoned-for-horses-update-post-51
https://www.equisearch.com/discoverhorses/horse-friendly-zoning
https://landmatters.wordpress.com/p...rs-challenging-zoning-and-land-use-decisions/
https://realestate.findlaw.com/neighbors/property-rights-my-neighbor-is-a-nuisance.html
http://directmarketersforum.org/chapter-eight-land-use-and-property-law/
The purpose of the AG-1 (agricultural-1) zoning district is to conserve and protect open land uses, foster orderly growth in rural areas and prevent urban agricultural land use conflicts.
Agricultural or “Ag Zoning,” refers to designations made by local jurisdictions that are intended to protect farmland and farming activities from incompatible non-farm uses.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you keep the manure picked up, no flies, no odor, no problems. Again, I’m talking about keeping animals in subdivisions or in towns-not in a country environment.

It’s not just horses being discriminated against. Animals and their waste have to be processed in a manner that is allowed by community you live in. Damage done by animals have always been the responsibility of owners to pay for damages.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
PLENTY of livestock owners have had trouble from neighbors and have had their zoning changed! Don't kid yourself that keeping all manure picked up will dissuade the suburban "I can't get my nails dirty" women from complaining and litigation.
Only zoning, LOCATION (far away from suburban housing) and vigilence will maintain your dream property with your critters.
I have NEVER heard of anyone who changed from AG to Commercial or Residential and was ABLE to change the zoning back again to AG.
I write this to warn to ALWAYS check, check, check before you buy.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You won’t because once it’s re-zoned, businesses & homes move in. As in all states, AG is grandfathered in. All AG is regulated with manure laws, vermin inspections, fly control, etc. states have guidelines for how many animals per square foot or per acre. If no neighbors to see, usually no harassment even if you allow animals to tromp in manure-not saying you do.

If people don’t want neighbors, move to a much less populated area. Or find farmers that have zero interest in selling and buy next to them. Realize that you have zero rights on his ground without permission-hunting, 4 wheeling, horse riding, snow mobiling, fishing, etc... put your garden or house right next to his field, get ready for noise, dirt of farming..... don’t like it, move into town.

Latest posts