Mystery Vines

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have an area of trees and shrubby stuff on the edge of my property filled with all kinds of mystery plants. But, I'm going to start out asking for help with these two vines.

Mystery Vine #1

June2011029.jpg

June2011031.jpg

And here is Mystery Vine #2:

June2011033.jpg

June2011034.jpg

Mystery Vine #2 runs all the way up to the tops of my the big spruce trees.

June2011036.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with Journey, plant #2 is some kind of wild grape vine.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Number 1- is bind wind. Pull those thing out now!!! You see those cute little flowers- they will multiply by a million by spring!! They will grow and cover everything there is to cover!!
The second is wild grapes. I would get them out of the pine tree- but no need to panic. The birds love them. The cardinals nest in mine. I use the leaves to keep canned pickles crisp. I allow it to grow, where I want it, and pull out the rest...

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Interesting, that plant is much different than what i call "bindweed" - well you know how that goes!! Anyway, mostly i call it other things, that i cant print here!!! Its awful, horrible, insane, uncontrollable!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have also heard it called "wild" morning glory ( and all those other names, we can't print here!)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
Interesting, that plant is much different than what i call "bindweed" - well you know how that goes!! . . !
Yeah, me too!

Here are the plants known as "bindweed" according to Wikipedia. This
#1 plant I assume is Fallopia convolvulus.

Heather and I must be thinking of plants in the Convolvulaceae family.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
Interesting, that plant is much different than what i call "bindweed" - well you know how that goes!! Anyway, mostly i call it other things, that i cant print here!!! Its awful, horrible, insane, uncontrollable!
You know Heather, I was just thinking about that thread we had going about Lesa's Dutchmans Pipe vine, and we got talking about Silverlace vine (fallopia baldaschuanica ).
Maybe this vine #1 is commonly referred to as silverlace vine in some regions and it's the horribly invasive one and not the silverlace vine that I had and Lesa is growing. They are both in the fallopia family.
The bloom is very similar.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sure you are right! It actually does bear a resemblance...Good thinking thistle!