n95 dust masks

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
anyone here making masks at home?

i have a very thick scarf that just wraps around once and the ends are connected. it will not block air-borne viruses, but it does remind me to keep my hands away from my face and that is all i want it to do.

so far i haven't had to go out for a few weeks and i hope i can avoid it for a few more weeks.

the cases in our country has more than doubled the past few days, but i suspect that is more in the city than around here. still as long as people are still moving around we're all at risk until the movers all get it and get over it or there is a vaccine.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife made a few from scrap cloth. Somebody else on here, I think Rhodie, was making some. Finding elastic can be an issue if you don't already have it.

The cloth masks don't protect you that well. They do not make it safe for you to be out. After you wear them in public you should consider them contaminated and clean them, the elastic can be an issue for that. Their main purpose is to help reduce how much you spread the virus through it's primary transmission method, droplets from coughs and sneezes.

@baymule have you seen TV footage or some real proof they are stopping people at the Texas-Louisiana border. My information is about three days old, at the time there were no roadblocks. The Texas State Trooper they interviewed said they were not planning any but you know how things change. There were several exceptions like you are going to Texas for medical treatment or for work, can't remember the others. The executive order was to self-quarantine if you did cross.

Louisiana's Governor said he was not insulted by that order, he thinks Governors should be taking steps to protect their people and we do have a lot of cases per capita. He thought it might help some Louisianans take it more seriously.

I have not seen any credible updates on local TV for a few days. Maybe now that it's past the weekend they'll say something else, especially if anything has changed.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge, I have a mom who is an essential worker. Her little girl is the only one I have since daycares/preschools can only be open for essential kids. She was stopped in Alameda by an Alameda cop right before she crossed into Oakland. She didn't have a pass yet so had to show the officer the email requesting her to work. He asked if her little girl was with her all day and she told him no that she was in my preschool. I was glad to see that cops are stopping people to make sure why they were out. But she could have easily been going to the grocery store. So I really don't understand why he chose to stop her.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge, I have a mom who is an essential worker. Her little girl is the only one I have since daycares/preschools can only be open for essential kids. She was stopped in Alameda by an Alameda cop right before she crossed into Oakland. She didn't have a pass yet so had to show the officer the email requesting her to work. He asked if her little girl was with her all day and she told him no that she was in my preschool. I was glad to see that cops are stopping people to make sure why they were out. But she could have easily been going to the grocery store. So I really don't understand why he chose to stop her.

Mary
Have to think combination of doing his job because people are stupid & paranoid. I am also considered essential but I do what I can over phone, text or email.

Glad you can help her out by taking her child.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
7054edd.jpg

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Schools are closed for the year now. I kind of expected it, but schooling my son is a big time commitment and I was hoping. :hit
On the bright side he'll probably be completely caught up by the time he does go back.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
The other day on my way home from work I made a stop at Home Depot. I had been putting it off for a week or so but stopped last Friday to get supplies. I was in the fastener isle looking at all the choices when my throat felt dry and scratchy and i knew I was about to cough. So I tried to make it sound like I was clearing my throat into my jacket but it basically sounded like a cough lol. The only person in the isle with me was a younger guy about 6’-8’ away,when it happened and he looked over at me and pulled his tshirt up over his mouth and nose and stalked off. I take some blood pressure meds and one of the side effects is a cough believe it or not ,sheesh. We have been staying home and not going anywhere except work and occasional trip for food supplies and such. Now they want everybody to wear masks because they now think it spreads through air vapor, would have been nice to know a couple months ago. Lucky I have some 95s out on the shop. Anyway you all take care and have a roll of lifesavers handy in case you have to go in somewhere.