Names . . .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I'm not talking about TEG handles ;).

I don't want to pick on people who speak English as a Second Language, or not speak English at all, but I wouldn't mind picking on some of the "marketing geniuses" Out There!! Just to balance things - I'll pick on all of them :p.

Did you know that there's a "Known-You Seed Company" in Taiwan? Pretty big outfit as best as I understand. They might have forgotten the little guy.

I was sent the seeds of a "Buisson Tomato" variety several years ago. I've grown it ever since. I like it! It is a small plant and produces a flavorful small tomato that comes on early. It reminds me of "Bloody Butcher." Yikes! We were talking about names! No, I'm a tuff guy . . . I'll just turn my back on that one and go back to "Buisson." Yes, that's better . . . I even like trying to pronounce the word: buuuuisonn! There's a community with that name outside of Paris. So, what do I find when I use the online translation French to English? It means "bush" . . . :rolleyes: Big Deal!

A green Asian eggplant that has often been in my garden is "Roleks." Nice strong plants, nice fruits - I wonder about that name . . . You don't suppose that someone always wanted one of those expensive, Swiss-made watches and came to understand that he/she just better not name something "Rolex," do you?

Again this year, I'll have "Nufar" and "Gecofur" basils . . . Are you kidding me??! Apparently, they are acroynms some genius came up with. Someone with a mind that could focus like a LASER (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation), no doubt!

And what's this idea of naming food after something distasteful or down-right inedible? Oh Gosh! That Bloody Butcher just ran thru my mind again!!! Anyway . . . "Sweet Granite" melons and "Sweet Quartz" cherry tomatoes . . . The "sweet" I get but . . . rocks?!

Well, the Quartz movement of my Roleks shows that I've gone on about this "name" thing much too long so, I'd better stop. Bloody Butcher, Bloody Butcher, Bloody Butcher!!!

Steve :)
edited because of spel chequer failure

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm... there's also a Bloody Butcher corn, somebody was on a roll somewhere. Does make you wonder about the naming process tho'.
Is it a committee? A box of slips with random words they pull out and splice together? A contest at a grade school?

The name Bloody Butcher has never put me off for some reason. Maybe because I've known a few butchers, and, well that's what they look like at the end of a work day.
Kinda like "Dirty Gardener"

I'm not a good one to dismiss what the mental image of a name might bring. I am after all THISTLEbloom. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, if I remember right . . . and I think I do (but one never knows :rolleyes:).

The Bloody Butcher tomato is a Dutch open-pollinated type and not all that old of a variety. (I don't know about the corn other than having seen it in a catalog.)

Now going to Babelfish and typing in "Bloody Butcher" with translate from English to Dutch - I get "Bloedige Slager!"

Dang! That's almost worse than the English!

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
hehe, a Dr Who fan i think we have here! :lol: when you live with a person with a Physics degree you soon learn that string theory is not just about the twine you use to tie up your beans and tomatoes with! :p

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need to read this topic again in the morning, after my espresso kicks in! :gig

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
I need to read this topic again in the morning, after my espresso kicks in! :gig
X2
All I've been able to make out is:
Tardis Bloody Names No Gardener Dr. Babelfish Handles Who TEG Think

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
digitS' said:
edited because of spel chequer failure
:lol:
You're almost as funny as me! You shoulda seen the dictionary thread I ran back when I was on BYC! It was.... well I killed all forms of rudimentary 3rd grade english.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I want a job just naming new foods or plants with common names! That would be FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeaaaahhh, what kind of a name is "cake" for cake anyway? I mean, sweet, flavorful, fluffy bread with layers of gooey goodness given such a harsh name that sounds like "KAYK"?

Fluzbuffernumm is a much better name for it than cake!

Double dutch chocolate pecan frosted, raspberry creme filled fluzbuffernumm

Latest posts