Nasturtiums, just got a free tray.

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to grow Nasturtiums, what they like, sun or shade etc. I was just given a whole flat from a friend of mine. Too wet to set today... maybe tomorrow but I need to know what to do w'them. thanks.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you mean nasturtiums? :hu :)

I googled "Nasturchums" and they looked like nasturtiums to me.

In that case... they have tons of uses. They edible flowers can be used in salads.

They do best in sun but we've grown them in shade. Once established they are drought resistant and keep well. They flower like crazy. They are really hard to kill they're very sturdy which is why I like them.

They are good companion plants for squash (and other curcubits, which someone reminded me of the other day), tomato, celery and beans.

Let me know, I may be wrong about the name?

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I grew them in the butterfly garden at the school I worked at. They like full sun to part sun and are easy growers. We couldn't always water and the soil was a little sandy, but we had no problems with them. They grew like crazy toward the end of the summer. I think the hotter it got, the better they grew. You can eat the flowers, which are peppery in taste. They do trail a bit, so I imagine they can be done in hanging baskets nicely.

Dawn419

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nasturtium leaves are also edible. We love using them like you would lettuce, on sandwhiches and in salads. They have a wonderful tangy/spicy flavor to them.

If you want flowers, make sure that the soil you plant them in isn't too rich and fertile. I've had the best luck with them in our dreaded red clay here in TN.

The chickens love the leaves and flowers, too!

Dawn

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
Nasturtium leaves are also edible. We love using them like you would lettuce, on sandwhiches and in salads. They have a wonderful tangy/spicy flavor to them.
We do this too - they are just about my favorite flower. One very pretty variety is "Emrpess of India:, which has dark red flowers and beautiful bluish green leaves.

They bloom best in regular soil - too much fertility will give you lots of leaves and no flowers. Foruntately the leaves are just a pretty.

~Phyllis

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of these? I have heard lots and lots but haven't figured them out yet.

Lalaith

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Did you ever hear the saying "you have to be nasty to nasturtiums?" They flower best in poor soil- as another poster mentioned, soil that is to rich will make them put out all leaves and no blooms.

Every part of the plant is edible and has a mildly spicy taste. Green beans cooked with almonds and garnished with nasturtium petals make a lovely side dish. Some people even take the seeds and grind them for use as a pepper substitute.

Favourite variety: "milkmaid." Pretty, butter-yellow blooms over dark green leaves.

Latest posts