Nawthern vs Southern

MinnesotaGardening

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It’s 27 degrees here! All you Nawthurners go outside, take a deep breath and suck the cold back up there! We got outside things to do today. DH has to renew his drivers license, we are going to get there early and stand at the door so maybe we can be first and not have to wait 4 hours for his turn. Then to the Feed store for a half ton of Feed. Home, unload and stack. Then out back to push some swales with tractor and hand rake. Spread sheep hay over bare dirt that is loaded on the Kawasaki mule. Then load it up again and spread it. By that time it should be time for a late lunch. Got some chicken fried steak (lamb) leftovers to warm up, then back outside! BOO on cold!
And then there is my garden, with not a single task that needs completing today.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm staying in today. Granddaughter has a fever so we'll take care of her while her parents do not miss work. She has a doctor's appointment for two.

We do that too! I get those 5:30 AM calls and go get a sick child so parents can go to work. Sometimes we take her to the doctor too.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Dirtmechanic ... just How Far North do you think we live?!?!?!? Even for me, at around 40 degrees north latitude, I am recommended to grow intermediate onions, one hour south they can grow crepe mrytle, and 3 hours south in Anna, IL, the "Annabelle" hydrangea was discovered, a Very hearty variety. You in the south have to grow them in the shade, or grow a cultivar.
FOR THE RECORD: Here are the spring bulbs that are perennials up north, and annuals down south.--
daffodils, tulips, hyacinth, crocus, snowdrops
They all need to be chilled to sprout correctly. I place mine and forget about them, until they come up in March, after they have doubled.
I guess you could use your refridgerator?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Ridgerunner, dunno if I want to give you any good advice about your parsley, since you have thrown it in our faces. :rant:rant:rant
Both northerners and southerners have challenges.
Last weekend, the temperature plummeted, the winds howled with 50 mph gusts, the wind chill factor dipped down to -20 degrees F and BOTH my heated hose and outside faucet froze. FORtunately the faucet thawed on Tuesday, so I didn't have to bill my 10 gallon water buckets IN THE HOUSE and carry them to the barn.
For those of you who might think that an automatic horse waterer is a good idea. THAT would have frozen solid AND, the in warm weather I have one horse who would play with it and flood the stall and barn. Same horse would electrocute himself if I used a heated water bucket, but the water would need to come from Somewhere. I think DH is finally convinced that this year we should build an insulated shack on top of the well near the barn and set it up with a thermostat. It would put water about 50 ft from the barn.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Dirtmechanic ... just How Far North do you think we live?!?!?!? Even for me, at around 40 degrees north latitude, I am recommended to grow intermediate onions, one hour south they can grow crepe mrytle, and 3 hours south in Anna, IL, the "Annabelle" hydrangea was discovered, a Very hearty variety. You in the south have to grow them in the shade, or grow a cultivar.
FOR THE RECORD: Here are the spring bulbs that are perennials up north, and annuals down south.--
daffodils, tulips, hyacinth, crocus, snowdrops
They all need to be chilled to sprout correctly. I place mine and forget about them, until they come up in March, after they have doubled.
I guess you could use your refridgerator?
Our daffodils came up but kinda froze this weekend. 3rd week of Jan if you watched the southern weather video! Anyway, more to bloom soon!
1579719486097914972122697214426.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner, dunno if I want to give you any good advice about your parsley, since you have thrown it in our faces. :rant:rant:rant

You're not the primary target Ducks, that's over in your neighboring state, You know, the guy that keeps begging for more photos. We southerners generally try to be polite and grant reasonable requests.

I got about a half pint of powdered parsley out of that first dehydrator batch. That's enough to last us a few years. That parsley came through the light frost with no problems, no discoloration at all. There is more than enough left for another dehydrator run. My son grew some last summer, it did OK, but I think it grows better in winter down here.
Parsley Dried.jpg

Latest posts