Nawthern vs Southern

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a young lad in Bethel AK, yellow cabs would run the frozen river during the winter. Did you know there is no speed limit for a yellow cab on a river?
Did they have chains?
In Steuben county, they park an old car on ice. When it falls through, no more ice fishing.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. Stud tires. Chains would slow them down and since it was pure ice for the most part in a windswept treeless region stud tires were better.
Ok. Studs out lawned in Illinois when I was a kid. I can still hear them sing.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
96A1207D-90FE-479B-8DD5-176DB83284EB.jpeg

Planted 1/8/20. No, not in Indiana. Sent to me by a southerner I use to work with. Texas. @baymule so why no pix of your garden being up? Little slow there.....

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dirtmechanic, I see you are near Birmingham. I used to drive I-59 a lot. I noticed the climate changed at Tuscaloosa, especially in winter. It seemed the Gulf Coast influence didn't go any further than Tuscaloosa. Vegetation looked different and the weather felt different. Don't know if you've noticed anything like this.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dirtmechanic, I see you are near Birmingham. I used to drive I-59 a lot. I noticed the climate changed at Tuscaloosa, especially in winter. It seemed the Gulf Coast influence didn't go any further than Tuscaloosa. Vegetation looked different and the weather felt different. Don't know if you've noticed anything like this.
Yes Montgomery and south is a semi-tropical plain. Tuscaloosa is at one end of a SW to NE feature called the jones valley. It is a real tornado magnet. I-59 runs down the valley.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 34142
Planted 1/8/20. No, not in Indiana. Sent to me by a southerner I use to work with. Texas. @baymule so why no pix of your garden being up? Little slow there.....
Where in Texas? South Texas is considered semi-tropical, I think they all get together and vote on which DAY they want to have "winter" on so they can get it done and over with. :lol:

There is a difference in here, north of Tyler and where we used to live, north of Houston. In Livingston I had a garden all winter. Here it gets just cold enough, for long enough to freeze whatever I plant. So no more winter garden for me! I have to wait until March.

Latest posts