Need a squash bug solution that REALLY works for 2012 gardening

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
agree Bt does work great on corn borer. Why 3 different companies put it into the genes of field corn. :)

back to subject at hand, good luck w/squash bugs.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rat tail radish are grown on vines and you don't eat the root, but the pods that develop, this coming year will be my first year to grow them so I don't know how they taste yet. They grow in the warm weather unlike regular radish. When I first posted I thought I remembered that they were helpful in controlling the squash (stink type) bugs, but after looking again it seems they are for the vine borers.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Kassaundra said:
Rat tail radish are grown on vines and you don't eat the root, but the pods that develop, this coming year will be my first year to grow them so I don't know how they taste yet. They grow in the warm weather unlike regular radish. When I first posted I thought I remembered that they were helpful in controlling the squash (stink type) bugs, but after looking again it seems they are for the vine borers.
Thanks! That's okay--I get them, too.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
seedcorn said:
agree Bt does work great on corn borer. Why 3 different companies put it into the genes of field corn. :)

Yuck!
I agree, yuck! If I need to use Bt I will just use it, I don't want ANY genes in my veggies that have to be inserted in a lab.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
catjac1975 said:
seedcorn said:

Yuck!
I agree, yuck! If I need to use Bt I will just use it, I don't want ANY genes in my veggies that have to be inserted in a lab.
And it takes so little BT to do it's job.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
SO GREAT to be able to ask for help from you all!! :hugs
This makes MORE work this year than I'd thought, but this mild winter has allowed for digging, so I'm off and running on my plans to rid myself of the awful :barnie squash bug invasion. I have 5 acres to work with, so I'm not without resources, thankfully. Here's my plan:
1) Dig out the top 8 inches of my beds that had squash bugs last year. 2 are raised beds and 4 were sweet corn/squash beds
These are two of the culpret beds, pictures from 2010~
2010Hotpeppers.jpg
ZuccinibedandCabbageBedlateMay2011.jpg

2) Transport said dirt to the NW corner of my 3 acre North (horse) pasture, where I need to fill in ruts from my 2008 fencing job (It's been impossible to run the mower there, and THIS will help it)
3) Dig dirt from previous manure piles in horse's turnout for the beds and till under used stall bedding in all of these beds.
4) Establish ALL natural predators
JUST saw a Garden Smart program about predatory insects. Sorry, couldn't find the link.
I'm buying THIS book this Spring:
http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Garde...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330362532&sr=1-2
...more stuff to read~
http://www.gardensmart.com/?p=articles&title=Natural_Insect_and_Disease_Control

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
According to the research I did on this subject, the cocoon type larva are about 2 inches down in the soil... so your 8 inches may be over kill. I also just saw someone claim that collars (like toilet paper rolls, etc.) have cured their vine borer problems. Not sure if I believe it, but it is free and easy, so I will be trying it!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
nachoqtpie said:
So... I'm reading this book called Organic Pest Control For Home & Garden (Amazon link ) and it says that for companion planting that if you plant marigold or radish that it will help keep the Squash bugs away. I figure at this point, I will try anything to keep from using pesticides in my garden! I've already ordered marigold seeds, got 200 seeds from Baker Creek for $1.75, so I'll be mixing them in with a few of my beds this year!
Make sure you get marigolds with the strong odor. Some have no smell-useless.
This is what we bought. Do you think it will be enough?

Latest posts