Need a squash bug solution that REALLY works for 2012 gardening

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I read that planting 4 O'clocks between your squash plants helps. Its supposed to attract the beetles and is deadly toxic to them. I have never had a squash bug on my plants. Not sure if its because of the 4 O'clocks or if they just haven't found me yet!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:ep Never had a squash bug :ep Amazing. I knew 4 O'clocks were deadly to junebugs, but didn't know about squash bugs.

I beat them last year and got tons of squash, but it was daily squishing.

My chickens like to eat the squash bugs, but I think they would damage the squash plants while going after the bugs.

This next year I plan on planting rat tail radish and marigolds, and now maybe some 4O'clocks. I also have scoured the seed catalogs and found a couple of varieties that say they are squash bug resistant.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've never had any luck with growing big pumpkins because of the *&^%$ squash bugs. I've tried planting radishes w/pumpkins & haven't had any luck there. I'm pinning my hopes on the chickens! They are more dedicated to ferreting out bugs than I ever could be. Do you think they are eating the ones overwintering in the garden?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tempo SC I bought it at local fertilizer place. Last year it was $45/container but it makes a lot of gallons diluted.

If you spray it 10' from house or directly on top of ant hills (what I did) it takes them out. A side benefit to spraying around house was it also stopped mosquitoes. After heavy rain, may have to reapply.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My chickens will not eat them... sorry to say. Are you sure it is the squash bugs killing your plants? Mine seem to die more from the vine borers...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nasturtiums are supposed to deter squash bugs. White "Icycle" radishes are supposed to deter the squash vine borer. Red radishes are not supposed to work, just the white ones. Of course, it depends on where you get your information. I tried both, even starting nasturtiums inside and getting them established and growing in the garden before I sowed the squash seeds.

I tried lemon squash. They were supposed to be squash bug resistant. I like lemon squash and recommend them. They were very nice. But they also succumbed.

I'm usually not this pessimistic. I really wish everyone good luck with squash. I'm trying again this year, but I just feel beaten down by squash bugs.

Thanks, Seedcorn. I'll check it out.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Once upon a time we had the answer. Sapodilla dust knocked them right over. Alas, it was made from the seeds of wild sapodilla lilies (not to be confused with the sapodilla tree which grows wild in Mexico and is not endangered but does not produce the insecticide) which are an endangered species so collecting the seeds is now prohibited.
If you ever run across a store of it in some forgotten corner snap it up. Sapodilla dust, unlike some organic chemicals, actually gets stronger with age so it will still have the kick it needs to do the job.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
My beds with squashes were LOADED with squash bugs in 2011. Can't use chemical insecticides bc my horses graze closeby and I'll be using chicken tractors next year--would they eat them? Not sure, since they like the fruit, too. I'm considering planting extras to sacrifice to the chickens and decrease the surplus bugs. I've cleaned my 2011 beds and moved the dirt a couple of acres away that might hold bug eggs. Anybody had any experience with eliminating them? I understand that I can squish the squash bug eggs bc they lay under the leaves of the squashes. I had hardly ANY zuccini in 2011, and NO acorn squashes. TOTALLY BAH!!!
Interested in your ideas, thanks!
(NOTE: I'll be posting this on BYC, too. I'll let you know if THEY have any experience with chickens predating squash bugs.)
I wrote your same letter to Organic Gardening Magazine many years ago. Their paltry reply was "squash bugs are usually not a problem."

Rotenone will kill them when they are young. Rotenone was always considered to be organic by Organic Gardening Magazine. However a few years ago they had a change in thinking and deemed it not organic because it kills beneficial insects. I still use it. I will never use chemicals.

However, it always stuck in my head that they said squash bugs were not usually a problem. The thinking in organics is about natural balance in the garden. Good soil makes strong plants which resist disease and pests. Bugs are attracted to weak plants.
I always used leaves as mulch to reduce weeding. I found that Squash bugs love to hide in the leaves, so I no longer use them as mulch in the vegetable garden. We do shred them and till them in. I do mulch young squash/cuke, etc. plants with grass clippings, close to the plants, and till around the open areas. When the plants are big enough they shade out the weeds for the most part.

I always used a myriad of organic pesticides when needed. I have found however that I no longer seem to need them very often. I have had several years where I have not sprayed anything. I do see a few squash bugs, hand pick the little brown eggs from the underside of the plants, but, the over abundance of the little monsters has not been apparent in quite a few years. They sell a bug vacuum in one of the organic supply companies but I have not tried.

My thinking is I have achieved a pretty good soil balance. I use limestone yearly for our very acidic soil. Use several truckloads of horse manure every fall. Use the droppings of about 40 chickens. And use several truckloads of leaves. The chickens' pen abuts the garden and they free range in the garden from late fall to early spring. I'm sure they scratch up and eat anything that remains by way of insects and larvae. I use compost on individual plants, though there is never enough.

You cannot let your chickens range in your squash beds in the growing season as they will eat the plants, squash as well as the bugs. I have fed the bugs to my chickens but, they let many get away so if I collect them I put them in soapy water. I also squash the adults right on the plant and leave them. If you ever have read about "Bug Juice" your put water, the offending bugs, in the blender Yes, yuch, and then spray the bug juice on the plants. It's supposed to be a deterrent,or perhaps spread the bugs' disease.

Well, I am not usually so long winded but, this SQUASH BUG plagued me for years and has finally abated. So what worked? Damned if I know! Hope some of this helps!!!!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
Nasturtiums are supposed to deter squash bugs. White "Icycle" radishes are supposed to deter the squash vine borer. Red radishes are not supposed to work, just the white ones. Of course, it depends on where you get your information. I tried both, even starting nasturtiums inside and getting them established and growing in the garden before I sowed the squash seeds.

I tried lemon squash. They were supposed to be squash bug resistant. I like lemon squash and recommend them. They were very nice. But they also succumbed.

I'm usually not this pessimistic. I really wish everyone good luck with squash. I'm trying again this year, but I just feel beaten down by squash bugs.

Thanks, Seedcorn. I'll check it out.
I thought it was suppose to be rat tail radish.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love it. It's all in the details. I guess it depends on which site you visit or who's book you read.

Did you find a site or did someone tell you? Was the rat tail radish given as a help with the squash vine borer or the squash bug? I'm willing to try about anything.

Latest posts