Need appliance recommendations

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Since we are building a brand new house, we are looking for some brand new appliances. Our washer & dryer are about a 1985 vintage, so it's definitely time for an upgrade. What brands do you all recommend or NOT recommend?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look up Consumer Digest and see what their recommendations are. My DD just bought a new set and got a LG front loader and the bases to put them on. They are very happy with it. She had a Kitchen Aid in the blue color, so she insisted on a blue washer/dryer. :cool:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Frigidare, Kitchenaid , and Maytag have all rusted and looked ugly long before they have worn out. My Maytag stainless steel washer was very expensive, is not that old and is rusting near the bleach dispenser. 2 refrigerators have rusted on the front. I even bought the coated model to prevent that and now it looks terrible. A friend had the same model and hers did the same thing.Spending more does not prevent this. Grrrrrrrrrr one of my biggest pet peeves.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a frigidare refridgerato and I love it. It's smaller than the one I used to have, but I still like it a lot. Not much trouble with that brand for me. I also have a frigidare deep freezer and like it a lot also. I've had them both for two years.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
dewdropsinwv said:
I have a frigidare refridgerato and I love it. It's smaller than the one I used to have, but I still like it a lot. Not much trouble with that brand for me. I also have a frigidare deep freezer and like it a lot also. I've had them both for two years.
I agree you can not go wrong with a Frigidaire chest freezer ours is 10+ years old and only have to defrost it twice....

EDIT...... full blown wolf commercial appliances in the kitchen, an a indoor wood smoker... oh heck you will need a wood burning pizza oven as well..

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My step-daughter and her husband recently moved into a much fancier house than they had--which was plenty fancy to me. Anyway, the new (er) house has a Sub-Zero fridge and a high-end gas range; can't remember the name. I don't think she knows what she has there; she's not much of a chef. I would mumble something about casting pearls before swine, but she is such a great person I don't want to belittle her in any way.

I have had a couple of Maytag appliances, and I have not been impressed. The fridge is not user-friendly, and the dishwasher was a beast.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would recommend NOT getting a Bosch dishwasher. We went through 2 in 2 years and if it wasn't for the Lowes service option we would have really been in trouble. Can't speak highly enough about the Lowes service garuntee though.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i guess i'm on the opposite end when it comes to Bosch dishwashers. but it could be because i usually do a lot of research before i buy this stuff. years ago Bosch used to make their dishwashers really well and a full steel tub. a few years ago they started making cheaper versions with a plastic bottom and the steel sides. there are too many people buying those poly & metal tub Bosch models because they are much cheaper than their full steel tub models that i much preferred. problems with leaking was the biggest issue i read about those models. so i decided to buy the slightly more expensive full metal tub and have had my latest Bosch running for about 6 months. my last one ran for 5 years at our last house and my mother's is still running fine after 12 years. you do need to know that it doesn't have a dry cycle-it gets the water scorching hot so the dishes will sort of dry themselves, but i do recommend pulling them out a few hours after it tells you it is done, or popping the door open to let out the steam.

you might want to hold onto your old washer and drier since the way they made the older stuff seem to last much better than the 'latest & greatest' ones. i've owned a Kenmore washer that only lasted 4-5 years and then a plastic part broke that kept the agitator in line. what a pain that was trying to get it fixed and it still didn't work right. so i found a free washer online that worked well enough for another year and a half before we had an issue with that one. the drier seemed to be fine for a long time till i noticed it wasn't heating the clothes to dry them anymore. that was right around the time the 2nd washer went, so about 7 years out of the drier.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I research appliance purchases too, that is why I got the bosch, and why I got it the second time thinking it was a fluke. It was (both dishwashers) full metal inside, no plastic. Neither one ever worked right, if they did decide to turn on and go through a wash cycle the dishes usually came out clean, but getting the thing to turn on was another story. The first one they never even attempted to fix, couldn't find anyone in our area. The second the poor man drove 50 miles one way about 6 times total always bringing a new part or idea of how to fix it (he was certified for bosch) and this was after countless times w/ my husband on the phone w/ the bosch people telling him to try this or that (the first time w/o the repairman there was much more of my husband w/ bosch directions being the repairman)

Latest posts