Need appliance recommendations

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
We bought a really nice (expensive) Bosch front loading washing machine a few years ago. Worked well for about 4 months. Then it started calling for water all of the time. It never really got the clothes soaking. Front loaders are intended to use less water. But I can say personally, I don't think they get clothes as clean. No offense to anyone that has one. It may be just my washer. I would just never go expensive or front load again. I've had the same cheepy $200 dryer for 13 years. Still works great!

Our refrigerator is Kennmore. Always have had good luck with them.

It is very exciting to be picking out all of this stuff. My advice would be, get what you want now, because hopefully it will last you many years and to get something that is "not quite" what you wanted because it was less expensive or something is what you will have to live with for many years.
While ours is a Maytag, my wife felt the same thing that clothes aren't as "clean". I will never go back to top load because the front load uses so much less water. Clothes water goes into septic-I know not suppose to-but how it was plumbed when bought the house. She is anal when it comes to washing clothes as she will wash one piece of clothing if found dirty in a full tank of water. Septics aren't meant to handle that much water.

On refrigerators, it doesn't matter the size as she will fill it past full. Then wonder why the door doesn't close.................

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Jared - My dad saved me the Consumer Reports that he got recently that was all about kitchen remodels. That's where I got the info to convince me I didn't want anything but stainless for the sink.

Seedcorn - I was actually considering one of those HE top loaders because I heard people complain about the front-loaders. Anyone know if the HE top loaders are actually better?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lots of people complain about the top load HE washers getting smelly after a while. I think it has to do with the new detergent that is recommended. Now there is a washer cleaner to buy, to take the smell away. My current washer is an HE although we tried hard to get one that wasn't. I just use Purex detergent; no problems. (I tried making my own laundry soap, but our water is so hard here, the home made stuff lets the whites get dingy.)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We heard that about the front loading ones too. The problem is from what I've read is the rubber gasket gets damp. People open the door, pull the clothes out and then shut it again. Its a sealed container the moisture has nowhere else to go otherwise it would leak water out the front. Mold grows since the moisture is there, and now the washing machine smells.

We have a front loader (because my beautiful wife is vertically challenged at what she says is 5'2" and Ill just leave it at that ;)) so its easier for her to use. And no storage unit either to elevate it. We honestly rarely close the door on it. Its just open no big deal but then ours is out of the way and you'd have to make it a point to get to it in order to climb into it.