Need help on bread

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do the same as you, Seed. Only I add half white flour and 1/2 whole wheat. Never had a problem with rising. I think you had a problem with your yeast- that was unrelated to the addition of whole wheat flour. Do you let it rise out of the machine for about a 1/2 hour? Love baking bread!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Closer to an hour outside the machine. I like the machine as 1.5 hours from start, I have bread. Usually it deflates when I take it out, divide it and place in small loaf pans. 1/2 pound. This time, it collapsed so I baked them. Taste fine but a little dense. Made great French toast Saturday....

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think bread is better with another rising. All winter long I had this problem with my bread machine. I think the newer yeast rises too fast for bread machines unless you buy it specifically for bread machines, which I don't.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Just made bread with very low sodium. I used unsalted butter, and only had to count the sodium in the skim milk (120 mg sodium). I used King Arthur all purpose flour. Each slice has 8 mg sodium and tasted terrific, just like always. Just some fyi, in case anybody else is having to now cook without salt. :cool:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, I proof the dough several times and it only turns out a much, much better bread. I let it rise, punch it down, rise, punch it down, rise and punch it down....then let it rise and then bake it. I use 2-4 c. of fresh ground whole wheat flour in my batches and it makes it rise even quicker than if I just used white flour.

The longer and more times you let it proof, the better flavor, texture and longevity of your bread when it's done.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Better longevity? Around here bread that lasts longer than one day is store-bought or dry and flat.

Yep...doesn't form mold as quickly. We normally make very large batches of flat rolls that have crust all around, freeze them in zip loc bags and keep one bag of bread on the counter for eating. The crust keeps the bread moist and the rolls are the perfect size for cutting, toasting, sandwiches, etc. I've found the extra proofing makes the bread last longer on the counter than it normally does with just the one proofing.

100_3623.jpg
100_3624.jpg

Latest posts