Need help with new landscape plants/shrubs

jorswift

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello, Im in zone 5 and the area I want to plant is on the south side of my Indiana home with full sun. I already have some knockout roses, and a wiegla wine & rose shrub. I am looking for some corner shrubs/plants. I am not too good with plants. I have a drawing and photo of my home, but not sure how to upload. Thanks.

jorswift

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
6886_1.jpg

here is my idea. I have some type of evergreen shrub in front the othe house that goes along the whole porch.

jorswift

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to mention from the house to the sidewalk is about 5'. Lets hear your ideas and opinions. Thanks.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, :frow!

I won't be much help but maybe you can clarify a couple of things, jorswift.

About what time of the day was the photo taken? You say that it is in full sun but it appears that there's a fair amount of shade from a tree.

Are you thinking of planting the area that is now in lawn or just the ground near the house foundation?

Steve

ETA: and are there currently 3 weigela or only one nearest the camera?

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've got some burning bush on its way to me, I plan to brighten up my front yard with a few of them.

Check them out on line, you can buy a dwarf size as well. Leaves turn bright red in the fall.

jorswift

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
sorry, the photo is a bad one and was the only angle I could get with the cars. It was taken about 6-7pm Indiana time. The plants are just thoughts, except for the roses and I do have just one Weigela bought, but in the pic there is 3. Also, you cannot tell, but at the far end on the pic by the door, I need another plant across from the weigela.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks to me that you could use some height.

Would a yew be a good choice? Or, a trellised vine?

Help me out people . . . I'm the least creative one on here :rolleyes:, I'm sure.

You've got a vote for a burning bush (Euonymus), to bring more color. Should be a nice transition from barberry to burning bush, right?

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:welcome

How about some sky pencils for height where its narrow? :D

jorswift

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Steve, to answer your other question. Yes, I do plan to landscape the grass area in the near future, or as funds allow me to. Plants are expenesive. I will also try and get a better picture. More of the side.

jorswift

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here are some pics taken of my home at 12pm Indiana time.

6886_img00002-20100504-1220.jpg

6886_img00001-20100504-1220.jpg

Latest posts